DirtySZN

Commendable
May 6, 2020
So I have Xfinity as my ISP - I am hard wired connected to Netgear wifi cable modem router AC1750 model number C6300 plus my Netgear XR500 gaming nighthawk router to my PC - Just to clarify, I have 2 routers basically because I set the Netgear C6300 into router mode so that it is only a modem, and then connect that to my Nighthawk router with another ethernet cable.

I also have a Xfinity gateway that is the main one in the house, but it is not mine, it is my mothers to use for herself only. That is why I have a separate coaxial cable/outlet in my bedroom in order to have my own modem/router - and the modem/router in my room is not on the xfinity plan at all

My current speed test results -

360.0mbps download speed; 11.8mbps upload speed; 20ms latency; protocol IPv4; host - Secaucus, New Jersey. I live in Toms River, NJ.

The speed test says my internet is "blazing fast", however, when I am competitively playing fortnite/call of duty like usual, I am lagging on and off all game long. Now this will go on for a few days and it seems as if it gets somewhat "better" but then the few days goes by and I am back to square one. It will happen in both games too.

And from what my Xfinity account says, I am able to get speeds "up to 600mbps download" and up to 15mbps upload.. Clearly not getting the download at least..

I've tried resetting both my Netgear AC1750 cable modem router and my netgear nighthawk xr500 gaming router as well. I've tried resetting the gateway, which generally helps but only for a day or two, if at all. And I have tried even Wifi to see if it made any difference, but no it has not.. as expected..

I have call Xfinity to come out to my house previously and they mention that there was a problem with the telephone line outside of my house as they noticed it was sparking and that they don't have anything to do with that, but they think that is why I am lagging as a side note..

Any help here would be greatly appreciated! thank you!!

Solution
Okay, sounds like you've got something similar to what I've had in the past--multiple cable modems (and services) on a single account. Is this correct?

If this is the case, it gives us a little more diagnostic capability since you essentially have two modems that would be affected if there are signal issues. If only one modem is affected, it would then be a service or config issue.

So let's being. First off, test your connection directly connected to the xfinity (netgear) box that has the coax connected. This will eliminate your router and test directly. If you don't have proper speeds here, this tells us something.

DirtySZN

Commendable
May 6, 2020
Is the Xfinity Gateway hooked up via coax or an Ethernet port? Like how does the gateway have internet access?
Sorry for the late response.. the xfinity gateway is in a separate room hooked up via coax. That’s how it gets it’s internet. Just to clarify to help, there’s one line for the whole household & 2 coax ports in the wall. One in each separate room.

DirtySZN

Commendable
May 6, 2020
Sorry for the late response.. the xfinity gateway is in a separate room hooked up via coax. That’s how it gets it’s internet. Just to clarify to help, there’s one line for the whole household & 2 coax ports in the wall. One in each separate room.
Is the Xfinity Gateway hooked up via coax or an Ethernet port? Like how does the gateway have internet access?
Setup
Setup maybe this will help as well.. not the best drawing, but hopefully it helps. Aside from what is in the picture, the xfinity gateway is in a separate room attached to the coax cable to the wall.

Apr 6, 2020
Sorry if it seems like I keep asking basic questions, but when you say there’s one line for the whole house, do you mean you have one “internet-in” lime for the house and then it gets split to two different rooms?

Do you have two different IP addresses in your house?

It seems to me like you’re trying to have a single IP try to provide service to separate modems and it’s likely stomping all over the signal. ISPs typically only provision one modem (and therefore one IP address) per household. It’s not as simple as just hooking an additional modem into a coax outlet if you want additional coverage.

Okay, sounds like you've got something similar to what I've had in the past--multiple cable modems (and services) on a single account. Is this correct?

If this is the case, it gives us a little more diagnostic capability since you essentially have two modems that would be affected if there are signal issues. If only one modem is affected, it would then be a service or config issue.

So let's being. First off, test your connection directly connected to the xfinity (netgear) box that has the coax connected. This will eliminate your router and test directly. If you don't have proper speeds here, this tells us something.

Solution