[SOLVED] Wired Desktop No longer getting correct speeds

Feb 25, 2020
Hello guys, so after doing a few days of searching I cannot seem to find a solution.

So I have 1gb/s internet, my phone gets about 600 on wireless, other PCS get correct speeds but my main pc which is wired in only gets about 200-240. End of Jan I was speed testing at about 900, then it just dropped to 240. I've contacted my ISP and had a tech out and it is not the router/internet as the other devices run fine. I've tried different ports, I've tried brand new cat6 cables, still a slow speed. I've booted into safe mode and ran a speed test, same speed. I cannot for the life of me figure out what would cause it. I have a NVIDIA GTX 1080ti, as far as I know/have checked all my drivers are up to date, I've disabled everything in startup that wasn't 100% necessary and still slow speeds. Any ideas?

Solution
It could be getting errors on the port. Be nice if it actually would tell you when it see errors. Maybe its buried someplace but windows does seem to give you this information. Errors though are either the cable of the port.

Now it all depends on how this graph is done. It may not actually be a problem. Very technically a ethernet port only transmits at 100% or at 0%. So if this was actually graphed you would see it spike between the 2 extremes. Not real useful so they show a average over time. It really depends what the sample rate is. Averages can be deceiving, tranmissing 10mbps every second for 10 seconds give the same average as transmitting 100mbps for 1 second and then nothing for 9 seconds.
Do you have any kind of so called "gamer" network software installed. Killer chipset tend to be the worst offenders. Asus also ships something similar with some of their motherboards. The killer ones you must load different drivers. The asus you can just uninstall.

What you might also try is to boot a standalone unix image from a cd or USB stick. Most these have browser pre installed so you can just run a normal speedtest. This would show it was some issue with windows or the drivers. Windows update has a nasty habit of installing generic drivers it "thinks" are newer/better unless you disable this function in the update settings.

You can also use a old tool like iperf to test speed between devices inside your house. This is simple software that only tests the network. It is not affected by cpu/memory/disk etc. It would let you verify the hardware and drivers.

Feb 25, 2020
Do you have any kind of so called "gamer" network software installed. Killer chipset tend to be the worst offenders. Asus also ships something similar with some of their motherboards. The killer ones you must load different drivers. The asus you can just uninstall.

What you might also try is to boot a standalone unix image from a cd or USB stick. Most these have browser pre installed so you can just run a normal speedtest. This would show it was some issue with windows or the drivers. Windows update has a nasty habit of installing generic drivers it "thinks" are newer/better unless you disable this function in the update settings.

You can also use a old tool like iperf to test speed between devices inside your house. This is simple software that only tests the network. It is not affected by cpu/memory/disk etc. It would let you verify the hardware and drivers.

No gamer network software no, just Geforce Experience

What motherboard and NIC do you have?

I believe it is Asus Prime Z270-P motherboard and NIC is Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller?

It could be getting errors on the port. Be nice if it actually would tell you when it see errors. Maybe its buried someplace but windows does seem to give you this information. Errors though are either the cable of the port.

Now it all depends on how this graph is done. It may not actually be a problem. Very technically a ethernet port only transmits at 100% or at 0%. So if this was actually graphed you would see it spike between the 2 extremes. Not real useful so they show a average over time. It really depends what the sample rate is. Averages can be deceiving, tranmissing 10mbps every second for 10 seconds give the same average as transmitting 100mbps for 1 second and then nothing for 9 seconds.

Solution
That is hard to say why. The cable itself can not actually delay traffic it transfers data at some at some fixed fraction of the speed of light. It either means the router got the packet and was busy and delayed sending the response or the pc got the response but delayed taking it out of the buffer and just blamed the delay on the network rather than on whatever it was too was doing.

Ethernet does not do error correction like wifi so damaged data does not cause delays just packet loss.