Wired ethernet connection intermittent

child9

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
I'm a Windows 10 user connected via ethernet to a router down the hall and in another bedroom. It has the regular wired network named "Endernet", a 5G wireless network named "Endernet_5G", and a second slower wireless network named "Endernet_guest." I have been plagued with intermittent disconnects for the last month or more. The icon in my system tray will indicate either a yellow triangle with an exclamation point and give an error about being unable to automatically determine the proxy settings OR it will just give a red circle with white "x" and say it is not plugged in. Additionally, I can not explain why plugging in the ethernet cable shows me connected to "Endernet_guest", which is supposedly a wireless-only network name. Running the network troubleshooter will often correct it temporarily by resetting the network adapter. Sometimes it just pops up a window that effectively shrugs at me and indicates it can't fix it. I have tried resetting the router, added a new network card to the computer, made sure the drivers are up to date, swapped the plug at the back of the router, swapped out the cables with different ones, and followed youtube instructions on fixing the proxy issue, ultimately resetting the entire f-ing computer. Yet it persists. Thoughts?

Solution
You have either a hardware or a software issue. Terry has outlined the best solutions for a software issue. If it is a hardware issue, then it is the router, the cable, or the adapter on your computer.
1. If there are other computer that use Ethernet on your network? Do they have the same issue? No ?? Then probably not the router, but it might be worth trying a different LAN port (BTW, any other hardware between your computer and the router?).
2. Is it possible to run a seperate cable from your computer to the router or is it possible to put another computer on the Ethernet in your room? This could help determine if the issue is the cable that I assume is inside the wall (installers sometimes put the staples in too hard).
I would suggest updating the motherboard drivers including any network drivers. Don't use the Windows drivers at all. Download and install the drivers directly from the motherboard specific website.

Then update the drivers for your router.

Then reassess the situation. And you can troubleshoot the network connection from there.

You have either a hardware or a software issue. Terry has outlined the best solutions for a software issue. If it is a hardware issue, then it is the router, the cable, or the adapter on your computer.
1. If there are other computer that use Ethernet on your network? Do they have the same issue? No ?? Then probably not the router, but it might be worth trying a different LAN port (BTW, any other hardware between your computer and the router?).
2. Is it possible to run a seperate cable from your computer to the router or is it possible to put another computer on the Ethernet in your room? This could help determine if the issue is the cable that I assume is inside the wall (installers sometimes put the staples in too hard).
3. Finally, do you have another adapter to test with or, alternatively, if another computer in your room works just fine then it could be the adapter itself that is having problems.

Another thing to try with intermittent problems like this is to assign your computer a static IP address (https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19249/how-to-assign-a-static-ip-address-in-xp-vista-or-windows-7/). This can sometimes help when you have something that is not broken, but just acting flakey.

Solution