Question Wired Ethernet drops about every 5 minutes - How do I know its notthe cable?

Dec 2, 2018
Yes another one of these why does my ethernet connection drop threads unfortunately

I'm living in a house wired for cat5e.
My internet connection is comcast with comcast router into the basement. Right now the router is hooked to a Apple Time Capsule acting as a router. The router then connects to a Dlink Managed Switch DGS-1100-08. The switch then connects to a hub which distributes the signal to the various rooms of the house into a wall plate ethernet jack. There a 8 rooms connected by the hub and I'm only having problems with one of the rooms whereby the ethernet connection either drops after several minutes or it just plain takes a long time to get an IP address.

I don't know what brand the hub is. The ethernet cable plugged into the running from the switch to the hub is a 3ft cat 5e cable with ethernet connectors that plugs into the switch and and the hub jack. The cable that runs between the rooms is plugged into the hub through some type of connector that receives bare wire. The wall jack terminator also takes bare wire (meaning there are no plugs on either end of the networking cable running between the wall jack and hub.

I've hooked several computer directly to the switch to the same port supplying the particular rooms signal. No signal drops occur when directly plugging into the switch. Through some testing it seems all the other rooms in the house receive a signal and dont drop connections. The main router is also wireless and I don't get any drops on the wireless network.
Ive tested multiple computers and an xbox within the problem room and each seem to do the same thing -- long time to get a dhcp address and then drop after a few minutes. I've tried assigning static address and same problem occurs. It appears all the wiring into the hub and wall jack is not loose as I unscrewed the connector from the wall and looked at the terminal end of the wire as it hooks to the wall jack. I don't unfortunately have the knowledge to pull the wires out from either the hub or wall jack as I don't think I have the proper tools to connect the wires again. Is there anything else I should try to troubleshoot this problem?

Sorry guys I tried uploading or linking a few different pictures but it didn't work.
Here are direct links to the pictures
https://imagebin.ca/v/4XfqAMA7YyhJ
https://imagebin.ca/v/4XfrJXg0TZrJ

Dec 2, 2018
My first suggestion will be to try another RJ-45 rated cable and see if that makes the difference.

Thanks -- however I don't know how to make connections directly into the hub or wall plate. Is there a special tool for this? I've already established the connection coming out of the switch works. I just dont know if its the hub port or connector, the wire, or the wall jack.

That install does not look bad the cables are neat and the wires are properly stripped. You should see what people post here :)

The equipment that can actually test cables other than very basic tests costs way more than even some smaller cabling installers can afford.

So first test is I would swap the cables that go between the switch and the hub. I would move the end on the hub from a jack you know works to the jack that is bad. If the connection is still bad it likely is the in wall cabling.

You could pull both ends out and repunch them down but I would first try to very carefull push down on the wires with a small screw driver....if you have a punch down tool just repunch all the positions. Using a screw driver do not push on the center push down on the wire on either side in your case on the top and the bottom of the connector. The wire on the top is very short but you can push down.

If that doesn't work I would buy a punch down tool and cut of a bit off the wire. Try to keep it looking like the other connection you want as little wire as possible untwisted.

Dec 2, 2018
Just to give resolution to the problem -- it ended up being the terminator of the hub. Had to purchase a line tester which showed a problem in the green pair of wires. I pulled all on the wires out the hub terminator and saw a bunch of small broken wires within the device. I attempted to pick them out, however I think I ended up damaging the terminator. I just put a RJ45 plug on the end of the wire and connected in directly to the switch bypassing the hub for that connection. I guess you can never say its never the wire or the plug.