ChrisWKuiper

Honorable
Apr 7, 2015
Hello,

I am having an issue with the wired connection on my desktop. When connected to the internet via the Ethernet jack on the motherboard, the internet works fine for around 10-15 minutes, then loses connection for a split second (just long enough to cause a disconnect from a game or discord) and then reconnects like nothing had happened. When it is working, everything seems normal, speeds are what is expected, no jittering or sluggishness or anything like that.

When connected to Wi-Fi (motherboard has built-in antennas), the internet is fine and nothing disconnects.

I have updated the Ethernet driver from ASUS’s website to the latest available, but still need to update the motherboard BIOS. I am pretty sure it is not the router/modem/Comcast since this has been an issue at multiple locations with multiple modem’s/routers. I have also tried using different Ethernet cables to no avail.

Windows 10 is fully up to date.

To someone more versed in this than me, does this sound like a hardware issue with the Ethernet jack on the motherboard itself, even though it works fine for a while before disconnecting, or maybe a driver issue?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Motherboard: ASUS TUF Z390M-Pro Gaming (Wi-Fi)
Current Router: ASUS RT-ACRH17
Current Modem: MB7621
ISP: Comcast

Solution
Hello,

I am having an issue with the wired connection on my desktop. When connected to the internet via the Ethernet jack on the motherboard, the internet works fine for around 10-15 minutes, then loses connection for a split second (just long enough to cause a disconnect from a game or discord) and then reconnects like nothing had happened. When it is working, everything seems normal, speeds are what is expected, no jittering or sluggishness or anything like that.

When connected to Wi-Fi (motherboard has built-in antennas), the internet is fine and nothing disconnects.

I have updated the Ethernet driver from ASUS’s website to the latest available, but still need to update the motherboard BIOS. I am pretty sure it is not the...

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,

I have updated the Ethernet driver from ASUS’s website to the latest available, but still need to update the motherboard BIOS. I am pretty sure it is not the router/modem/Comcast since this has been an issue at multiple locations with multiple modem’s/routers. I have also tried using different Ethernet cables to no avail.

Windows 10 is fully up to date.

To someone more versed in this than me, does this sound like a hardware issue with the Ethernet jack on the motherboard itself, even though it works fine for a while before disconnecting, or maybe a driver issue?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Motherboard: ASUS TUF Z390M-Pro Gaming (Wi-Fi)
Current Router: ASUS RT-ACRH17
Current Modem: MB7621
ISP: Comcast
The cable is ALWAYS the first thing to change when dealing with a wired ethernet problem. And if you have in-wall cabling, I don't just mean the patch cable from the wall. You have to look at the ENTIRE cable length. If you can, swap to a single, factory made 100% copper, 22-24 gauge, cat5e cable. Anything else: "flat cable", "cat8 cable", homemade cable, etc are all suspect.

Solution

ChrisWKuiper

Honorable
Apr 7, 2015
The cable is ALWAYS the first thing to change when dealing with a wired ethernet problem. And if you have in-wall cabling, I don't just mean the patch cable from the wall. You have to look at the ENTIRE cable length. If you can, swap to a single, factory made 100% copper, 22-24 gauge, cat5e cable. Anything else: "flat cable", "cat8 cable", homemade cable, etc are all suspect.

Currently it's a normal CAT6 cable, I've already tried various others, CAT5 and CAT5e. Also changed locations, so wall wiring has also changed.