[SOLVED] Wired Headset straightening

nicklaswallace

Commendable
Dec 8, 2018
Hello everyone, so I'm sure you've all experienced this before, you buy a new wired headset and the cord constantly tangle up since the cord is wrapped up in the box. Across multiple headsets I've always had this. Is there any tricks to "permanently" straighten it. I was thinking maybe using a clothes iron or hair straightener (obviously while its not at max temp), but there might be other options out there I'm unaware of it. It's just a big nuissance to me, I have like wire holders setup on my desk to prevent the curling but it still happens in some spots. Any suggestions!

Solution
The usual way to straighten a wire is just to stretch it between two heavy books on the floor but that is obviously only temporary.

The wire tangles because you spin the headset as you turn around while wearing it, or turn it the same direction each time you take it off and put it down. To minimize this from getting progressively worse it can simply be unplugged after use and the wire allowed to hang free--even if you have to dangle it over a stairwell to do so.

There are no detangler swivels (like for telephones) for headphones because their jacks are already round so can swivel already, but a headset may have a separate mic plug or be USB. The rectangular flat wires do tangle less easily and you can sort of emulate this by...

Lutfij

Titan
Applying heat to a cable isn't a good idea since it only melts and somewhat solidifies the outer sheathing of the wire(insulation) and very likely cause you to ruin the inner construct of the wire or worse cause more static noise over the headphones. I've had one instance where the cable was forcefully straightened and bent multiple times until the audio went from white noise only to no audio(I didn't do it, my friend did and he had nothing but regret).

The quality of the headphones weren't good mind you, so my question is, what is the make and model of the headphone you seem to want to run a experiment on with that heating element? There's also the matter about tangle free wires, if your headset has a detachable 3.5mm input, you could pick up flat 3.5,mm audio cables that are not going to tangle at all...like the ones from Beats.

Reactions: MMorris666
The usual way to straighten a wire is just to stretch it between two heavy books on the floor but that is obviously only temporary.

The wire tangles because you spin the headset as you turn around while wearing it, or turn it the same direction each time you take it off and put it down. To minimize this from getting progressively worse it can simply be unplugged after use and the wire allowed to hang free--even if you have to dangle it over a stairwell to do so.

There are no detangler swivels (like for telephones) for headphones because their jacks are already round so can swivel already, but a headset may have a separate mic plug or be USB. The rectangular flat wires do tangle less easily and you can sort of emulate this by braiding another wire or cable sleeve to your existing round wire.

Solution

nicklaswallace

Commendable
Dec 8, 2018
Applying heat to a cable isn't a good idea since it only melts and somewhat solidifies the outer sheathing of the wire(insulation) and very likely cause you to ruin the inner construct of the wire or worse cause more static noise over the headphones. I've had one instance where the cable was forcefully straightened and bent multiple times until the audio went from white noise only to no audio(I didn't do it, my friend did and he had nothing but regret).

The quality of the headphones weren't good mind you, so my question is, what is the make and model of the headphone you seem to want to run a experiment on with that heating element? There's also the matter about tangle free wires, if your headset has a detachable 3.5mm input, you could pick up flat 3.5,mm audio cables that are not going to tangle at all...like the ones from Beats.
It is a steel series Arctis pro. It’s a usb cord unfortunately :/