Wired Internet connection disconnects for 2-3 seconds and repeats this about 3-6 times every few hours

Morrack

Prominent
Apr 11, 2017
Hello

First here is some hardware and software stuff just so you know what I am using currently

Router: Netgear R6400 v2 (Last firmware available from Netgear)
Mobo: ASRock Z97x Fatality
Lan adapter: Killer E2200 (latest drivers available)
ISP provides: 100 megabit optical Internet

Internet installation is as follows

Optical cable --> Optical receiver/modem --> Ethernat cable (1m 1 year old cable) --> Router (Netgear R6400 v2) --> Ethernet cable (6m 2 years old cable) ---> Killer E2200 port

Intro:

Recently I decided to change my stock ISP provided 100 mb/s router, with a Gigabit router. First I got a TP-Link Archer c2 v1 and it was running good for some time until I saw that it disconnects and reconnects for 2-3 seconds about 3-6 times in a row (something like 30 sec in total). During the problem the Light that indicates that there is connection with the computer, is going off and on with the same interval. I tried a few things to fix it like changing ports disabling firewalls and changing other settings with the router. But to no avail.

I returned the router and got myself a better one. The Netgear R6400 v2. And hoped that it will not have the same problem. But after a day, the same problem occurred again. I went absolutely mental since this thing ain't cheap. With the old ISP router I had no such problems but it was only 100 mb/s and I am planning to get gigabit internet later, and on bigger packets and requests it was blocking and throwing me out of some servers which was annoying. And I wanted to fix that and did...

Note: Only wired connection is doing this the WI-Fi is untouched by this problem...

So here is the big story of how I tried everything I could possibly think of to fix the issue:

First I contacted my ISP, Explained in detail what my problem is, and asked them to make my IP static and to try and register the router manually with their servers (if there is such a thing).
It was fine for a day or two. Then it started again. I reinstalled my drivers and network connection and reset the router. and that seemed to have the biggest impact. It was fine for a whole 4 days before occurring again. I tried the same afterwards but for no avail. I had to find a different solution. I contacted Netgear support and they didn't know anything about it.

I reinstalled all drivers, the killer performance suite, the networking connection again and at the same time reset the router to factory default and flash the firmware with the latest version.

And I tried all the easy fixes with changing the ports on the router, turning it off and on again. And basically build from there up in difficulty ...

And recently I found out that instead of local network connection in my network and sharing center it just says Ethernet. And when I open it I have no Ipv6. It wasn't like that about a week ago.

20930522_1408428805861453_1228135134_o.png

That is when I reset my netsh and netsh Ipv6 reset reset.log from CMD (admin run) and still didn't fix anything.

Some people ask me if my cable is the problem but since I am having no issues with the old router I don't think so. But who knows I might be wrong. (It is a 6 meter 2 years old cable).

Also I noticed that the problem occurs much more often if I am playing a game or getting my network under heavy load. That is when I decided to uninstall my performance suit since it is prioritising some apps like games before others. And I thought that maybe because of that the problem happens. Again to no avail it didn't get fixed.

It is a really weird issue and I don't think it is because of the routers. Both routers had the same issue and both routers were running 802.11ac (which I think is only the wireless part of the router but yet I know nothing about routers and network setups)

From what I learned so far from trying to fix the problem is. That it is not from the ISP side and the problem is between my PC and Router.

I checked everywhere on the internet and tried to find a solution but I couldn't there is absolutely no information about this problem anywhere.

I will provide any information you require from my side and try to work as much as I can with you to fix this problem. You guys here at Tom's are probably my last hope...

Solution
You have some options:

Try using known working Ethernet cables between PC and router.

Try using another known working device on the same connection being used by the PC.

Determine if the problem follows the device or stays with the wired connections.

Does your ISP provide IPv6? If not, turn off IPv6.

Overall, random disconnects may simply be a loose connection or faulty cable along the way. Are you using any RJ-45 wall outlets? Take a careful look at all of the incoming cables. Check for damage, corrosion, rodent chews, staples/nails.

Not at all uncommon that some problem eventually shows up when there is some pending degradation in place. Works for awhile and then starts having intermittent problems until finally failing...

Ralston18

Titan
You have some options:

Try using known working Ethernet cables between PC and router.

Try using another known working device on the same connection being used by the PC.

Determine if the problem follows the device or stays with the wired connections.

Does your ISP provide IPv6? If not, turn off IPv6.

Overall, random disconnects may simply be a loose connection or faulty cable along the way. Are you using any RJ-45 wall outlets? Take a careful look at all of the incoming cables. Check for damage, corrosion, rodent chews, staples/nails.

Not at all uncommon that some problem eventually shows up when there is some pending degradation in place. Works for awhile and then starts having intermittent problems until finally failing completely.

Check the router's logs (if available and enabled) plus the Event Viewer logs on the PC. May find an error message or warning therein.

Solution

Morrack

Prominent
Apr 11, 2017
@Ralston18

Hey thanks for the reply.

I will try to get good high quality internet cables tomorrow, sadly I have no other device that I can test the internet on... My Internet is not with RJ-45's from the wall it is an optical cable that comes out of a optical box at the first floor of the building. as I said the problem seems to be between my PC and the router.

While installing the optical cable at one place they kinda penetrated the cable with one staple. But if there was any damage I would have felt it long ago.

I will try to follow the router and event logs. And see if I can locate some problems with them... I will keep you updated if i find something!

Ralston18

Titan
Fair enough.

But do bear in mind that the damaged optical cable may have been on the threshold of being functional. Only a micron or so of movement or vibration caused failure.

Like a mouse trap. You might get away with touching the trigger a dozen times - then SNAP!

Your post is large so maybe you tried this. The thing that caught my eye was that you have a killer chipset in your machine. You see people reporting very strange network issues with this chipset. It is so bad that killer actually has a driver that removes all the killer features. They are mostly marketing so you will not lose much capability. I tend to blame all strange issues on them but it can be other stuff as suggested, I will never buy a killer chipset board again.

kinda penetrated the cable with one staple
Ummm. Oh, I just grazed it. A dirty line is a dirty line. Moisture and stuff(sorry for that technical word) will work on exposed wiring.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2393437/internet-connection-drops-hour.html#17662107 I know it's a wired thing. Following those steps may help. Having Netgear walk you through setting the address to be static and make sure your lease is for over 24 hours. If you ask about your DHCP lease and the rep. pauses or asks you to explain it please talk to a more experienced rep..

Netgear is frigging worthless and doesn't give a flying bleep. Just going by their actions. Because this is only via the ethernet, which is controlled by the routers who's rules apply to wireless and or wired connections, have you seen if this problem exists if only the modem is in the picture? If it doesn't then Netgear needs to address this issue.

I contacted Netgear support and they didn't know anything about it.

would not be the end of the road for me. Either Netgear or my ISP would solve this issue.

Did you verify your static address while on the phone with your ISP? Did you then make sure it was the same after the issue started again?

Do you have any slots open so you can install a network card? Just another option/troubleshooting step.

You don't have to use the firewall included in this http://store.steampowered.com/app/355000/GlassWire/ software. It just makes your network activity a little more transparent which might help you.

Please let us know when you have this issue solved.

http://www.pcgamer.com/motherboards-with-killer-network-adapters-arent-worth-your-money/ is one opinion of many. Hence my network card suggestion.

Morrack

Prominent
Apr 11, 2017

Yes I am thinking about trying a new network card... I got 2 more PCI-e slots so it should be absolutely possible. Also I am damn sure it is not the optical cable since if it was every other wireless device would have been affected. It is only between my PC and the Router via the cable. Nothing else is dropping there are no speed problems or drops and whatsoever. And IF I have to fix that I will need to call the ISP tech to arrange a team to come and change the Optical wiring... I just removed the staple and investigated the cable ( I know it was risky I was very gentle) And the wire was not exposed at all. It is still covered with plastic.

Yesterday I disabled energy efficient ethernet to try and give more power to the LAN port ( not sure what the hell that actually does) and I got this today when I powered my PC... But as soon as I enabled it, it went back to normal and working. Also I have no idea what those LAN access from remote are in the logs, I traced some of them with an IP tracer site and the results were, Pakistan, Ukraine, USA, Brazil... What even is LAN access from remote and why does my LAN even get accessed remotely...

20991333_1408728559164811_2009772759_o.png

My IP is static from the ISP. They do this part and If I set the IP to be static from my router I lose the internet connection. I talked with them about it and they say it has to be dynamic... (weird stuff, right... )

I really doubt the fault is in the router, I just can not accept that 2 separate routers from 2 separate brands in 2 different price ranges can have exactly the same issue. So my guess is the network problem narrows down to 1: My LAN port on the PC 2: The cable to my PC (the cable is quite high quality stuff, but yet again it crosses the room and it gets ran over from time to time even tho I try not to do it at all, also it was samshed against the wall with the sofa :D I guess I should just go buy a cable)

Other thing I might try to do is buy a Wireless adapter since the wireless is untouched. But I just don't trust the wireless network for running broadcasts on them and heavy internet usage basically... I want my good ol cable.

So any suggestions for a Ethernet network card? I don't care about the cost, I just want this thing to be dealt with once and for all...

From all the issues I have had with computers, netoworking by far is the worst one ever to deal with...

Now I will play a game and observe the log closely to see if it has anything to tell me about the connection losses...

I will update you guys with more information about the issue if anything interesting comes up. Also sorry if the information I provide is not tidy and well sorted in the posts...

Morrack

Prominent
Apr 11, 2017
Hello Again :)

So I read about those LAN access from remote logs and it turns out that it is because the UPnP is on lots of lots of people have free access to my router and can DDoS me whenever they want. And both the Archer C2 that I returned and this Netgear router have this UPnP thing. So I disabled it. and here is what appeared in the logs of the router in the last few rows...

[Admin login] from source 192.168.1.3, Friday, Aug 18,2017 12:58:22
[DoS attack: FIN Scan] attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [151.101.112.249], Friday, Aug 18,2017 12:53:46
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.2)] to MAC address F8:E0:79:9A:B7:3D, Friday, Aug 18,2017 12:53:19
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.2)] to MAC address F8:E0:79:9A:B7:3D, Friday, Aug 18,2017 12:53:07
[DoS attack: ACK Scan] attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [23.193.33.22], Friday, Aug 18,2017 12:47:22
[DoS attack: ACK Scan] attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [23.193.33.22], Friday, Aug 18,2017 12:45:43
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Friday, Aug 18,2017 12:44:36
[Internet connected] IP address: 95.43.222.16, Friday, Aug 18,2017 12:44:34
[Internet disconnected] Friday, Aug 18,2017 12:44:33
[Initialized, firmware version: V1.0.2.34_1.0.22] Friday, Aug 18,2017 12:44:31
[LAN access from remote] from 90.1.112.146:7809 to 192.168.1.3:38450, Friday, Aug 18,2017 12:42:08
[LAN access from remote] from 91.139.217.94:34268 to 192.168.1.3:38450, Friday, Aug 18,2017 12:40:54
[LAN access from remote] from 108.70.43.91:12528 to 192.168.1.3:38450, Friday, Aug 18,2017 12:40:36
[LAN access from remote] from 68.67.73.20:34919 to 192.168.1.3:38450, Friday, Aug 18,2017 12:40:05
[LAN access from remote] from 68.67.73.20:34663 to 192.168.1.3:38450, Friday, Aug 18,2017 12:40:04
[Admin login] from source 192.168.1.3, Friday, Aug 18,2017 12:31:45

The LAN access from remote are before I shut down my UPnP and the DDoS Attack logs are after I shut it down. Could this have been the problem with me losing connection from time to time? I will see if I get the problem again and If I can block those IP's somehow. But Potentially I think I will be blocking A LOT of IPs and that there might be no end of them...

Yes it could. https://kb.netgear.com/19957/What-does-Disable-Port-Scan-and-DoS-Protection-do

Your router may be being a "Nervous Nellie".

Morrack

Prominent
Apr 11, 2017

Sadly this didn't solve the issue... I just got another disconnect and the log of the router at the time of ocurrance was this

[Admin login] from source 192.168.1.3, Friday, Aug 18,2017 14:16:35
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.3)] to MAC address D0:50:99:55:2B:4E, Friday, Aug 18,2017 14:03:57 <<<<< This was closest to the time of the disconnection
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Friday, Aug 18,2017 13:44:35
[Internet connected] IP address: 95.43.222.16, Friday, Aug 18,2017 13:44:35

I am feeling a bit better now when the LAN access from remote's are gone from the picture. But the issue is not yet solved ;(

Well I made some changes and I didn't restart the pc and router so I will do that and see if anything changed.

If that doesn't work out, I am going to get a new cable...

If that doesn't work out. I will get a new NIC.

Ralston18

Titan
Check your devices:

Which one, if any, is MAC address D0:50:99:55:2B:4E?

Hopefully the troublesome PC which was at the time assigned DHCP IP 192.168.1.3.

Purchase a Netgear NIC or a NIC that matches the router's manufacturer. Otherwise, if the problems continue the two manufacturers will just blame each other.

Morrack

Prominent
Apr 11, 2017
It was the lan cable between the router and the PC... Weirdest malfunction ever... Sorry for wasting your time guys I feel dumb :D It turned out the cable was patched up, barely noticed it.

Reactions: ZebulonHUN
Jun 4, 2020
Oh, man, I have the exact same issue: 1-2 x 3 seconds outage almost every ~ 20 minute Smite match while using Archer C2 router and Killer E2400 NIC.
I have some network knowledge, did Wireshark capture: 0 packets in or out during those 3 seconds, but another cabled PC did not miss a ping at the same time.
I haven't suspected the cable could cause this. Now I swapped and eagerly testing, will let you know.

Jun 4, 2020
Oh, man, I have the exact same issue: 1-2 x 3 seconds outage almost every ~ 20 minute Smite match while using Archer C2 router and Killer E2400 NIC.
I have some network knowledge, did Wireshark capture: 0 packets in or out during those 3 seconds, but another cabled PC did not miss a ping at the same time.
I haven't suspected the cable could cause this. Now I swapped and eagerly testing, will let you know.

Ok, it was not the cable. But it looks like disabling "Energy Efficient Ethernet" helped, whatever it is....