Question Wired Internet Connection Keeps Cutting! Help Please!

Jul 13, 2019
Hi, first of all I apologise if I am posting this in the wrong section.

But I am completely fed up and just tired.

I have had this problem for 2 years now. I have a BBox v3+ modem on the first floor of my house which is connected via dsl.

From there I have a Nighthawk R7000 router on the third floor, which is connected to the modem via ethernet cable.

The Wi-Fi signal in my house is perfect, hardly have problems with it.

However, I used to play a lot of PS4 and I had to stay connected over Wi-Fi because the connection over cable was terrible, sometimes I could play an entire day without any issue. Other times I would get disconnected 20 times in 5 minutes.

At that time it wasn't a big deal because I could just switch over to Wi-Fi.

However, I recently bought a new PC but it's driving me completely crazy because I can't play ANY games without getting kicked every 15-30 seconds. I swapped out everything you could imagine; modem, router, ALL cables. No luck.

I also fooled around in the PC, Router, Modem settings, nothing.

Tried connecting everything over PPPOE, assigning static IP's, absolutely no luck.

I know it's a book I'm writing, but I'm just hoping someone can help me out since my own ISP can't even help me. It's been months now and I'm really exhausted.

Thanks in advance!

kanewolf

Titan
Ethernet is pretty reliable stuff. You only have three variables in your equation. Your PC, your router and your cabling.
Cabling is usually the weakest link. If you have any in-wall wiring, that is the first place to look. Check each wall plate visually and use a simple ethernet continuity tester. Verify color 568B color code everywhere.
If you have any flat ethernet cables get rid of them. The wire gauge is too small. You don't need fancy cat7 or anything. Pure copper 22 to 24 gauge cat5e or better. Monoprice has decent cables that meet those requirements.
If it isn't your cables, then it could be either end. Put an ethernet switch at your computer where you can watch the LEDs. That might give you some insight on which end is having problems.

Reactions: Bassiit
Jul 13, 2019
Ethernet is pretty reliable stuff. You only have three variables in your equation. Your PC, your router and your cabling.
Cabling is usually the weakest link. If you have any in-wall wiring, that is the first place to look. Check each wall plate visually and use a simple ethernet continuity tester. Verify color 568B color code everywhere.
If you have any flat ethernet cables get rid of them. The wire gauge is too small. You don't need fancy cat7 or anything. Pure copper 22 to 24 gauge cat5e or better. Monoprice has decent cables that meet those requirements.
If it isn't your cables, then it could be either end. Put an ethernet switch at your computer where you can watch the LEDs. That might give you some insight on which end is having problems.
Thanks man, will definetly check it out and keep you posted. ;)

Jul 8, 2019
Definitely +1 on what kanewolf said about cabling being the weakest link. I have a blog article I wrote about running Ethernet near power sources. Florescent lights can ruin your day too.

<MOD Removed link>

Last edited by a moderator: