[SOLVED] Wired internet speed slows down after a few minutes

Feb 6, 2020
Hi, I have a wired internet connection with 800Mb/s speeds. but after a while it drops down to 20-50Mb/s. If i restart the network adapter (intel ethernet connection I2I7-V) it goes back to normal for a while. Ive tried different adapter drivers, ive updated my bios, in the adapter properties, advanced settings ive disabled Large Send Offload for ipv4 and ipv6, Speed & Duplex is set at 1.0Gbps Full Duplex. It happens whether im connected directly to the cable or if im using the switch in my router, so the router isnt an issue. Please help. Thank you

Solution
I finally fixed the issue.
A reddit user suggested unistalling my antivirus software (I was using eset) and after a day of testing i had no slow downs at all.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

On your computer are you sure that only one network adapter (either wired or wireless) is enabled? In your case the wired adapter would be enabled and the wireless adapter disabled.

Have you tried another known working (at speed) Ethernet cable?

Set Speed & Duplex to Auto.

--------------

You mention " connected directly to the cable or if im using the switch in my router, so the router isnt an issue."

"switch in router"? Do you mean port?

What make and models: modem, router, or modem/router combo?

Connectivity - edit the following line diagram to show the connections being used.

ISP ----> Modem ------>[WAN]Router[LAN] ----->PC

Feb 6, 2020
Specs:
Cpu I7-4790k
Gpu: 5700xt
Motherboard: Asrock Z87M Pro4
Ram: 16GB of mixed ram sticks
Storage: M.2 2TB Goodram SSD
Psu: corsair 650W

Im using the motherboard Ethernet port, there is no wifi card connected, and theres no other internet adapters connected.
I havent tried other cables, however im sure this cable is sufficient, and the cable is not related to the problem (all cables are cat 5e and when everything is working correctly achieve the 800Mb/s speeds) .

As for the router: I have an ethernet cable coming from outside that I connect to the routers IN port, and another cable that goes from the routers OUT port to my pc. I tried connecting the outside cable directly to the pc and the issue persisted.

I assume that this is a software issue on the pc side (driver or malware). I tried running a virus scan (I use eset internet security) but it didnt detect any issues.

Ralston18

Titan
"ethernet cable coming from outside that I connect to the routers IN port, and another cable that goes from the routers OUT port to my pc."

Just one device?

Is that router actually yours or is it being provided by your ISP?

Make and model for modem, router, or modem/router if combo?

Feb 6, 2020
I finally fixed the issue.
A reddit user suggested unistalling my antivirus software (I was using eset) and after a day of testing i had no slow downs at all.

Solution