Wired LAN connection problem

beckler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
Connecting my sony BR player to internet/network with wired ethernet. Using old router as a switch between BR player and main router. Connection is ok but when I use the cable that goes thru the floor to upstairs (15 ft.) the connection is flaky--very slow. But a laptop used to test that connection works normally - full speed. So the cable should be fine. What could possibly be the issue??

Solution
Try the easiest first: Get some compressed air and try blowing any dust out of the BR player's ethernet jack. If that doesn't work...

Take your BR player upstairs and try connecting it to the old router with a couple different ethernet cables. If it works, then you know the problem is the cable you have going upstairs through the floor. If the cable is marginal, it can work fine with one device but not with another.

I've frequently seen this problem (works with one device but not others) with cables which are mis-wired when crimping the jacks, so the signal pairs are are no longer transmitted on twisted pairs. Notice that the green pair is actually 3-6, not 3-4 in the following diagram...
Try the easiest first: Get some compressed air and try blowing any dust out of the BR player's ethernet jack. If that doesn't work...

Take your BR player upstairs and try connecting it to the old router with a couple different ethernet cables. If it works, then you know the problem is the cable you have going upstairs through the floor. If the cable is marginal, it can work fine with one device but not with another.

I've frequently seen this problem (works with one device but not others) with cables which are mis-wired when crimping the jacks, so the signal pairs are are no longer transmitted on twisted pairs. Notice that the green pair is actually 3-6, not 3-4 in the following diagram.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Ndsxv_4TBK0/THIJbkoq6bI/AAAAAAAAANw/IE0dApaTmuo/s1600/568B+configuration.jpg

If it's still slow, you know the problem is the old router or the BR player. Try plugging the BR player to the main router. If it works, you know the problem is the old router.

If it's still slow, then the problem is likely the BR player. You'll probably need to get it exchanged or fixed under warranty.

Solution

beckler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006

You sir, have solved my problem! Yes it was the improperly wired connector on my cable. I followed the diagram on the box of connectors, looking at the colors and not noticing the arrows plainly indicating the proper pairing (just assumed the pairs are in order). :sarcastic: So anyway I rewired it and finally it all works properly, including the TPLink switch which wasn't before (but the linksys was). Thank you!