Wired PC Will Not Surf

Kenshin72

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
Good afternoon,

I have been struggling with this PC for awhile. 99% of the time it grabs APIPA, the rare 1% it actually grabs a valid IP but then will refuse to talk to the modem. I have tried multiple cables/modems. I have already scanned for viruses, that came up clean. I have updated and rollbacked the driver as well. No go. TCP/IP reset is also a no go. Thinking maybe it was the NIC, I loaded Hiren's Boot CD in and it was able to surf from Mini XP. Tried a system restore as well to the further System Restore back, did not work.

Any other ideas on this one?

Hi Kenshin72.

If your computer is relatively new the lan port on the motherboard will be able to run at three speeds.

10/100/1000 Mbps.

If you are using a cat 5E ethernet cable from the lan port wired to the router or modem.
First check on the back of your system to see if you have any led lights lit up where you plug the ethernet cable in.
Most Lan ports come with a green and amber set of lights.

Depending on what color lite is lit denotes at what speed the Lan of the computer is running at.

Now your router or modem may only have lan ports that run at a set speed.
Either 10 or 100 Mbps maximum.

So if the link speed of your lan adapter was set to 1000 Mbps in speed you will not get a connection to the router or the internet it provides.

You must there for go to the Lan adapter settings on your computer and set the duplex speed of the adapter manually.

In the lan 10 or 100 Mbps full duplex mode setting for speed to obtain a connection to the router, network and internet.
Often the speed is set to auto, but it fails to configure right leading to no network or router being seen or has trouble getting the setup information from the router via Dhcp setup.

Go to the network and sharing center of windows.
Click on change adapter settings.

Right click on the local area connection.
And select properties.

Click on the configure tab in the new window.
In the next window click on the advanced tab.

Scroll down to the speed and duplex option and click on it.

In the value box to the top right of the open window.
select 100Mbps full duplex.

Click ok or apply.
Restart the system, and let windows load again.
Test to see if you have access to the router or modem, and an internet connection.

Kenshin72

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
Alright so I went in and changed the duplex to every option, the only one that gave any result was 100Mbps Half, it would be able to ping though it lost about 73% of them, then stopped working during the ping test. Restarted and its back to not working and getting APIPA.