Wired router or Ethernet switch

nuts174

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
I am currently in the process of installing CAT5E cable in my home for a wired home network and need to know what use as the core of my network? Should I use a wired router or an Ethernet switch? I own a Linksys WRT320N wireless router that I intend to use to cover my Wi-Fi needs (iPhone, PSp, etc), however the WRT320N doesn’t have enough Gigabit ports for what I want to do. I would like to supply internet and video streaming to 6 – 8 rooms (through a PS3, Xbox 360 or PC). Eventually I would also like to add a home server or NAS.

Solution
You will need both a router and a switch. A router does the addressing throughout your network and communicates with your ISP so you can surf the net. The switch is just used to send traffic to and from the end device, (PC, PS3, etc). Hope this helps out.

If you are intending to just use your home network for surfing and gaming, then you don't necessarily need a gigabit router. I have a NAS setup and it can stream movies no problem throughout my network; but if your willing to spend the extra cash, go for it.

VanillaGorilla

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
You will need both a router and a switch. A router does the addressing throughout your network and communicates with your ISP so you can surf the net. The switch is just used to send traffic to and from the end device, (PC, PS3, etc). Hope this helps out.

If you are intending to just use your home network for surfing and gaming, then you don't necessarily need a gigabit router. I have a NAS setup and it can stream movies no problem throughout my network; but if your willing to spend the extra cash, go for it.

Solution

sturm

Splendid
I would get a gig switch. The cost for them is pretty cheap now. I picked up a d-link for 30 bucks and it works great. I needed extra ports and figured with that price why the heck not. Glad I did as network transfers are much faster now.

nuts174

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
So basically I would just set it up like this:

Cable modem > wireless router > Ethernet switch > PC, PS3, etc.

If I add a NAS or Home server should I connect it to the router or the switch?

VanillaGorilla

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Connect everything to the switch. If you get a gigabit switch, your file transfers will stay within the switch and file transfers will stay at max speeds whereas the router ports are more than likely 100Mbps which will be a ~90% decrease in performance.

jake6590

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012

sorry if this may be off topic but you seemed to be knowlegable about these sorts of things. i am looking to optimise my connection speed on my ps3. i want to do this but i still need to be able to run 2 ps3s at once both online gaming. i currently have a cable modem hardwired to a wireless router hardwired to two different ps3's. would it be possible and provide optimal connection speeds if i purchased a switch and used this instead of a router? my cable modem has 1 ethernet port if i hard wire my ps3 directly from the modem it will not find an ip address. if i set it up so it goes cable modem switch then ps3, ps3, wireless router, (the ps3, ps3, wireless router all off of the switch) will the 2 ps3's find an ip address? the reason i say to go to the router after the switch is so i can unplug the router when i dont use it, this way i have the optimum connection.