Question Wired UP speeds crawling yet WIFI UP blazing fast

Feb 16, 2023
I have Centrylink Fiber Internet. 1GIG Speeds for up and down. I can to internet speed test on my devices on wifi and get around 600 up and down. Which is great. Yet my Wired devices get the same down but up is only like 2.8 - 3.5 Up. Crazy slow single digit slow. I have connected the laptops directly wired to the router and have the same issue. (multiple wires were tried and laptops Mac & PC even). I was using EERO (router/modem) having it loged directly into my PPOE for internet. I talked to EERO support and we were puzzled. So we unplugeed the EERO and hooked up my original ISP's (router/modem). And tested on that and we had the same issue FAST WIFI and SLOW up on wired.. (no other devices were on wifi for this or wired but my laptop). So i called then my ISP who sadly had crappy support not even really listening to what i was saying. And just said they were going to send me a new modem/router.
So when i get my new modem/router im sure ill still have the same issue. So my question is anyone have any suggestions of what I can have them look at when i call back of what the cause of this issue could be?

Feb 16, 2023
No VPN's running. This is a recent occurrence noticed that my connection like remote desktop when im away and other things needing UPLOAD were not working well. Which is what got me to run speed tests.

Because the wifi works, and I am very surprised you get 600mbps, it means your internet connection and router are likely fine. It is not even likely a issue with the ethernet port on the router so that leaves the PC.

This almost has to be some strange software on the PC. The most common is the garbage "gamer" network stuff you find bundled with some motherboard or video cards. I would uninstall any software that talks about giving priority to any kind of traffic. A common name is CFOSspeed.

You could verify that you have the latest driver from the chipset vendor for the ethernet port. Maybe some windows update installed a generic one.

So if you have another machine that can run wired I would first try a simple file copy both read and write and see if that is affected. You can see the rates in the network tab of the resource monitor. Be careful some values are in BYTES/sec and other in BITS/sec.
If this is not affected I would start to suspect a browser issue.

A couple other things you can try. You could load a linux USB boot image. These run completely from the USB stick and have a browser preinstalled so you can run standard speedtest. This will mostly just show that your hardware is ok and windows is the problem but it does not give you much clue as to what.
You could also try a old line mode programs called IPERF. This is a little more basic than a file copy and only check the drivers but is not affected by thing like diskspeed or memory or cpu. For IPERF you again need 2 ethernet connected machine for best testing.