[SOLVED] Wired/Wireless bridge help

Jan 3, 2019
Hi All, I've got an Amplifi mesh with 1x Router and 2x Meshpoints, and I'm very happy with it. I'm setting up Unifi cameras, wired to a switch and Unifi cloud key gen2 in the attic, but my only current ethernet ports/internet access are on the ground floor.

I can't run a hidden cable between the current ground floor switch and the new attic switch. I'm thinking I'll just stick a wireless bridge in, as the camera traffic will be over wires to the attic, the wireless bridge will only be for user traffic.

Can anyone recommend a device that'll do the job, be reasonably priced, and be stable enough to run for months at a time? Amplifi can only suggest another Amplifi router node, but I don't really want to pay the money for all that functionality that I don't need.

Thanks!

Solution
The newest units are based on av2 standard. Most the quality brands have similar numbers, which I guess should be expected since they are using the same internal chips. It would be nice to really be able to predict the performance but like wifi the house makes a lot of difference.

I like ubiquiti products also, was just a alternative.

Jan 3, 2019

I haven't found them particularly reliable in the past. Who make the highest quality ones now?

I like those devices kanewolf suggested - it's a good answer as well. But you are right, there's a lot of wifi going on, and it's a powerful device to stick in the attic and send a signal a few metres through a flimsy new build!

Wish I'd just used Unifi access points now, I think I could've meshed them like Amplifi and had ports to plug into... but I might be wrong on that, and hindsight is always 20/20.

The newest units are based on av2 standard. Most the quality brands have similar numbers, which I guess should be expected since they are using the same internal chips. It would be nice to really be able to predict the performance but like wifi the house makes a lot of difference.

I like ubiquiti products also, was just a alternative.

Solution