[SOLVED] wired/wireless networking to multiple buildings

Apr 23, 2020
Dear tom's community,
I run a small home business out of 3 multiple buildings--each about 30-40 yards apart--on a farm in the middle of nowhere. Our internet provider is HughesNet. Hughesnet provides maximum about 25-30 Mbps down. The set-up is as follows:
  1. The satellite dish feeds to a Hughesnet HT2000 modem/router in the basement of the house.
  2. From that central router, we have blue CAT 5 cable which runs to the 3 other buildings.
  3. In the buildings, the ethernet cable plugs into a Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Router, Model WNDR3400v2 which I think is configured as a wireless access point (ie. not as a router), though I am not sure exactly how to confirm that. Each of those Netgear routers provides a 2.4 & 5ghz wifi network to its building. From every building I can see the 2.4ghz network of each of the other buildings.

This network worked fine when I was the only one here, but now my husband and 3 kids are also working/going to school from home. Last week, in an effort to get faster speeds/more reliable connection, we upgraded to Hughes Business. I think the signal is pretty good--as good as satellite is going to get--but we are still struggling. Kids are getting kicked out of zoom classes and sometimes we can't connect at all.

Among the 5 of us, there are probably about 13 devices, almost all Apple, going at any given time. 5 laptops, 5 phones, and 3 tablets.

The installer suggested that too many devices on the HughesNet router might be an issue, so I have purchased a Netgear Nighthawk X6S AC 4000--it arrived today and is still in the box. My questions are these:
  1. the installer said to hook the new router up to the old one and "split the traffic" between them--but online research shows I should disable the HughesNet router and let the Nighthawk do all the work so they don't interefere?
  2. Does the fact that I can see the Netgear 2.4ghz networks from the outbuildings (each has a different name) mean that the networks might all be interfering (and slowing) each other even though they are 30-40 yards apart?
  3. I'm also wondering--do routers used only as access points need to have their firmware updated, as those Netgear routers haven't had that done in years. Or would I get better performance if I replaced those routers with new Netgear access points?
thanks in advance for any comments or advice on all of this!
best,
Tricia

Solution
You may have to look at using cellular for video conferencing. Sending a signal 25000 miles into space and back, causes a lot of delay (hundreds of ms) that ruin video meetings.

Your problem isn't your infrastructure, it is your ISP.

kanewolf

Titan
You may have to look at using cellular for video conferencing. Sending a signal 25000 miles into space and back, causes a lot of delay (hundreds of ms) that ruin video meetings.

Your problem isn't your infrastructure, it is your ISP.

Solution