[SOLVED] Wired Xbox One controller keeps turning on/off

ChaosHydrA

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2013
Keeps going on/off in games, the white "home/overlay" button goes dim aswell. Sometimes it even vibrates when i just pick it up in my hand when its not even inside a game like desktop/browsers open.

Im not sure what the issue can be as i can barely troubleshoot it. Under device manager it will sometimes not even show up in the xbox controller option and there are times a while after i have unplugged/replugged it that it will show up normal but not long after it will give me this message :

"Unknown USB device (Device descriptor request failed)"

Solution
Sounds like a wire is frayed or snapped inside the cable somewhere. It could be anywhere along the cable from the usb port to inside the controller. Usually from people yanking on the cord to pull the usb port out rather than actually using the usb plug, rage throwing the controller, or sometimes just happens.

I would stop using it though, as it seems to exhibit different symptoms and works sometimes, I would say there is a possible short somewhere and if you keep messing with it and cross the wires, it could short out your pc or whatever you have it plugged into.

As for fixing it, unless you have a multimeter to diagnose where the problem is, soldering equipment, and a donor usb cable, there isn't much you can do.
Sounds like a wire is frayed or snapped inside the cable somewhere. It could be anywhere along the cable from the usb port to inside the controller. Usually from people yanking on the cord to pull the usb port out rather than actually using the usb plug, rage throwing the controller, or sometimes just happens.

I would stop using it though, as it seems to exhibit different symptoms and works sometimes, I would say there is a possible short somewhere and if you keep messing with it and cross the wires, it could short out your pc or whatever you have it plugged into.

As for fixing it, unless you have a multimeter to diagnose where the problem is, soldering equipment, and a donor usb cable, there isn't much you can do.

Reactions: ChaosHydrA
Solution

ChaosHydrA

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2013
Thanks for the quick reply.

Edit: will update with x360 controller test

Update: Apparently the cable that came with the V2 X1 controller seems like it might be the problem here. I tried my 2-3 year old x360 controller with a classic usb cable in the same usb port and it works well but the controllers analog is kind of worn out so its not a substitute.

Also tried my phones micro usb cable with the x1 controller and it seems like it works aswell, the X(guide) button is lit all the time with it plugged in, however the cable is kind of short so i will have to order a new micro usb.

Thanks for the help hopefully its just the cable acting up as the controller is only a little over 1 year old of use.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS