Wireless-A Ethernet Bridge

Are there any ethernet-to-wireless bridge converter that works in
802.11a?

(Sorry for my english)

----------------------------
Def - Invertebrado
----------------------------
Miembro fundador del ICI (Ilustrísimo Comité Invertebrado)
Miembro fundador de la plataforma PACO CAMADAZA COMENTARISTA DE CANAL 9 YA!!!!
El genuino escudo del Balensia --> http://webs.ono.com/usr001/arperant/escudobalensia.jpg
ANTIBALENSIANISTA POR SIEMPRE!!!

In article <q79bj0da3l9c3ut4dvnaquhjr9akhmrv44@4ax.com>,
Def <defjudas@worldonline.es> wrote:

>Are there any ethernet-to-wireless bridge converter that works in
>802.11a?

Yes - the Proxims sold at http://www.centrix-intl.com/ - search for
"8570". You may have to get a firmware upgrade from Proxim to get them
working, though. (Or, e-mail me for it if you get no luck from them -
I may still have it around.)

I wish more access points worked more like transparent bridges than
routers. ): The more complex the firmware is, the more bugs there are
for me to find.

-- Mark

On 01 Sep 2004 13:07:32 +0100 (BST), Mark Carroll
<markc@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>Yes - the Proxims sold at http://www.centrix-intl.com/ - search for
>"8570". You may have to get a firmware upgrade from Proxim to get them
>working, though. (Or, e-mail me for it if you get no luck from them -
>I may still have it around.)
>
>I wish more access points worked more like transparent bridges than
>routers. ): The more complex the firmware is, the more bugs there are
>for me to find.

Sorry, I think I was not clear enough... I'm really trying to find an
Ethernet to Wireless converter (not a bridge), like a Linksys
Wireless-G Ethernet Bridge, but working under 802.11a

Sorry for my english one more time :)

----------------------------
Def - Invertebrado
----------------------------
Miembro fundador del ICI (Ilustrísimo Comité Invertebrado)
Miembro fundador de la plataforma PACO CAMADAZA COMENTARISTA DE CANAL 9 YA!!!!
El genuino escudo del Balensia --> http://webs.ono.com/usr001/arperant/escudobalensia.jpg
ANTIBALENSIANISTA POR SIEMPRE!!!

Def <defjudas@worldonline.es> wrote:
> Sorry, I think I was not clear enough... I'm really trying to find an
> Ethernet to Wireless converter (not a bridge), like a Linksys
> Wireless-G Ethernet Bridge, but working under 802.11a

What about something like the Orinoco Ethernet Converter?
This connects ethernet to a PCMCIA card. It only lists the Orinoco
Classic, but maybe an A card will work.
http://www.proxim.com/products/wifi/client/ec/index.html

--
---

In article <tngbj0504ejg46rf74pbsuu0gngc0ba20r@4ax.com>,
Def <defjudas@worldonline.es> wrote:
(snip)
>Sorry, I think I was not clear enough... I'm really trying to find an
>Ethernet to Wireless converter (not a bridge), like a Linksys
>Wireless-G Ethernet Bridge, but working under 802.11a
(snip)

I didn't quite have your application in mind, but I don't immediately
see why what I suggested wouldn't work for it.

-- Mark

Mark Carroll <markc@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> I didn't quite have your application in mind, but I don't immediately
> see why what I suggested wouldn't work for it.

The companion piece. He wants an 802.11a client to ethernet adapter.
I see PCMCIA and PCI, but no USB, and no ethernet.

I think he wants a Linksys WET54"A", and but there is only WET54G.

The WMP55AG would work if he had a PCI slot.
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=36&prid=526

--
---

Def,

3Com will begin shipping a Ethernet to 802.11 a/b/g converter beginning mid
September. Part number is 3CRWE675075. More information can be found on the
3Com web site at:

http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=features&pathtype=purchase&sku=3CRWE675075

Grant
(Yes, I work for 3Com)

In article <ch4lt1$koi$1@blue.rahul.net>,
<dold@Wireless-A.usenet.us.com> wrote:
>Mark Carroll <markc@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>> I didn't quite have your application in mind, but I don't immediately
>> see why what I suggested wouldn't work for it.
>
>The companion piece. He wants an 802.11a client to ethernet adapter.
>I see PCMCIA and PCI, but no USB, and no ethernet.
(snip)

Ah. I was curious as to what the difference is between clients and
base stations. (-: The 8570 will repeat things from one client to
another, but I guess that other base stations can't associate with
each other as clients, so it wouldn't be useful.

-- Mark

> Are there any ethernet-to-wireless bridge converter that works in
> 802.11a?

For point-to-point bridging of two ethernet LANs wirelessly,
Airaya comes to mind, although my understanding is that
Airaya isn't exactly 802.11a but a proprietary mutation
thereof.

Also, for some reason, Airaya uses 5.25-5.35 GHz, instead
of the 5.725-5.8xx GHz range that I understand allows higher
power.

Who else makes 5.x GHz bridges like Airaya?