Question Wireless Access Point Inquiry

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
What does it mean when you use another router as a wireless access point? What are the pros and cons of doing this?

What do you mean. Most times it is done because someone has a router laying around and they don't want to buy another device. A actual AP has extra feature like PoE that many people don't really need.

If you mean why do you run it as a AP rather than a router that is to have a single network rather than multiple.

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
What do you mean. Most times it is done because someone has a router laying around and they don't want to buy another device. A actual AP has extra feature like PoE that many people don't really need.

If you mean why do you run it as a AP rather than a router that is to have a single network rather than multiple.
I read that some people use a few of old routers as wireless access points (maybe I'm using the term wrong) instead of buying a mesh system.

Mesh is marketing to get you to think you need to buy new equipment. Old router running as AP connected via ethernet is going to be much better than any form of wifi repeater. Now so called mesh can run as AP also but why buy new equipment when you have stuff that will work.

kanewolf

Titan
I read that some people use a few of old routers as wireless access points (maybe I'm using the term wrong) instead of buying a mesh system.
Access points use a wired network to connect back to the main router. Mesh uses WIFI.
WIFI requires bidirectional radio communication. The radio TRANSMITTER on your handheld device transmits a weaker signal than the WIFI on a router or AP. By geographically separating the WIFI sources in a house, the distance to the receiver radio can be minimized. That allows a higher bandwidth connection between the WIFI source and client. THAT is why people use multiple WIFI sources in a house.

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
Access points use a wired network to connect back to the main router. Mesh uses WIFI.
WIFI requires bidirectional radio communication. The radio TRANSMITTER on your handheld device transmits a weaker signal than the WIFI on a router or AP. By geographically separating the WIFI sources in a house, the distance to the receiver radio can be minimized. That allows a higher bandwidth connection between the WIFI source and client. THAT is why people use multiple WIFI sources in a house.
i have no idea....what all that means