Wireless Access Point Managed By Computer

abaggett

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
Hello, I recently upgraded to a new wireless access point with wireless N and still have the old G one. I was wondering if the following setup would be possible

Wireless access point plugs into computer with 2nd ethernet port configured to give access point internet. Then, the computer would manage access to the network, restrictions, firewall for the access point and so on. If this is possible, could you recommend a free (or inexpensive) program that would do the job?

Solution
Yes, you could do it. You'd be essentially converting the PC into a router. The cheapest and easiest solution is ICS, although it’s severely limited in terms of access restrictions, firewall management, etc. It's just a basic software-based router.

I believe WinGate now offers a limited, free version that you may at least want to check out. I haven't used software routers on Windows for ages, so I'm not as familiar w/ all the options these days as I used to be. But years ago (circa 1998), I used WinGate (iirc, v3.x) when having your own router was considered a luxury!

Of course, you could just patch the additional AP to your existing router and avoid all this effort. In fact, if it was me, I’d be more inclined to get a...
Yes, you could do it. You'd be essentially converting the PC into a router. The cheapest and easiest solution is ICS, although it’s severely limited in terms of access restrictions, firewall management, etc. It's just a basic software-based router.

I believe WinGate now offers a limited, free version that you may at least want to check out. I haven't used software routers on Windows for ages, so I'm not as familiar w/ all the options these days as I used to be. But years ago (circa 1998), I used WinGate (iirc, v3.x) when having your own router was considered a luxury!

Of course, you could just patch the additional AP to your existing router and avoid all this effort. In fact, if it was me, I’d be more inclined to get a dd-wrt/tomato (third party firmware) compatible router so I could manage the router for ALL my clients, wired or wireless, regardless of AP, w/ virtually unlimited ability to configure the router as you please.

Another alternative (if you’re doing this for your own edification) would be to build yourself a small Linux system and install one of the many open-source routers for that platform (e.g., pfSense, SmoothWall, monowall, etc.).

Solution

abaggett

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
Thanks for the info! I checked out WinGate and found the "Now with free 3 user license!" section of their website. When it says "3 user license", does this mean 3 devices may be plugged into the computer and controlled with WinGate, or is it a 3 concurrent connection limit?