[SOLVED] wireless access point stuck on 'disconnected' status

jbourne84

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
screenshots of dashboard settings

I'm testing a Mist Access Point (AP41) on my home network and it wont receive internet for some reason, I have it plugged in with a POE Injector. The injector has a "data in" port that is connected to my homes router. I've claimed the AP in the mist dashboard and set up a wifi network. LED Light indicator gives no flashing error, just solid green.

When I was initially setting it up it had a status of 'disconnected' until I ran the ethernet cord from the router to the 'Data In' port on the injector. It then connected and did an update. I walked away but it seemed like after that update process it's been back to 'disconnected' and no amount of resetting/restarting/reconnecting will fix it. I feel like something about that update process changed a setting and its not connecting to the internet now but I could be wrong. Either way Its not connecting.

Anyone have more experience with these units?

Solution

I'm testing a Mist Access Point (AP41) on my home network and it wont receive internet for some reason, I have it plugged in with a POE Injector. The injector has a "data in" port that is connected to my homes router. I've claimed the AP in the mist dashboard and set up a wifi network. LED Light indicator gives no flashing error, just solid green.

When I was initially setting it up it had a status of 'disconnected' until I ran the ethernet cord from the router to the 'Data In' port on the injector. It then connected and did an update. I walked away but it seemed like after that update process it's been back to 'disconnected' and no amount of resetting/restarting/reconnecting will fix it. I...

kanewolf

Titan

When I was initially setting it up it had a status of 'disconnected' until I ran the ethernet cord from the router to the 'Data In' port on the injector. It then connected and did an update. I walked away but it seemed like after that update process it's been back to 'disconnected' and no amount of resetting/restarting/reconnecting will fix it. I feel like something about that update process changed a setting and its not connecting to the internet now but I could be wrong. Either way Its not connecting.

Anyone have more experience with these units?
I would always start with the cabling. Take the AP and the POE injector and use new short patch cables to connect everything. Does that work?
If you have bad quality cabling or terminations, your AP may not be getting power. Move the POE adapter to the far end of the long cable and connect the AP with a short patch cable. Does that work ?

Solution
Try using a static IP address instead of relying on DHCP. The static IP should be outside the DHCP range of your router. For example, if your router is set to range from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.200. Then you want to set your AP to something outside that range like 192.168.1.201

jbourne84

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
I would always start with the cabling. Take the AP and the POE injector and use new short patch cables to connect everything. Does that work?
If you have bad quality cabling or terminations, your AP may not be getting power. Move the POE adapter to the far end of the long cable and connect the AP with a short patch cable. Does that work ?
Thanks for the response, I tried different cables and also used them to direct connect my computer to make sure I was getting internet through them. no issues I found.

jbourne84

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
Try using a static IP address instead of relying on DHCP. The static IP should be outside the DHCP range of your router. For example, if your router is set to range from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.200. Then you want to set your AP to something outside that range like 192.168.1.201

Thanks for the response, id like to try this but I'm not sure how to find the 'range' of IPs for my router, this is what things look like in the settings

Also, on the access point dashboard, if I opt for a static IP it also wants the

• subnet mask
  • default gateway
  • primary DNS

Do I use whats listed in the router settings?

Thanks for the response, id like to try this but I'm not sure how to find the 'range' of IPs for my router, this is what things look like in the settings

Also, on the access point dashboard, if I opt for a static IP it also wants the

• subnet mask
  • default gateway
  • primary DNS
Do I use whats listed in the router settings?

Subnet mask is usually 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway is the IP address of your router
Primary DNS, you can use the same as your router which is your ISP DNS. Or you can use google's 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 or many other free DNS servers.

The router will usually have a DHCP range start address and number of MAX clients. So if the start address is 192.168.1.100 and you have 50 max dhcp clients. Then it's likely a range of 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150.

jbourne84

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
Subnet mask is usually 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway is the IP address of your router
Primary DNS, you can use the same as your router which is your ISP DNS. Or you can use google's 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 or many other free DNS servers.

The router will usually have a DHCP range start address and number of MAX clients. So if the start address is 192.168.1.100 and you have 50 max dhcp clients. Then it's likely a range of 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150.

Ok Thanks again, I tried that, here's what the Static IP settings look like if you're curious. I put in the home IP address for the default gateway (the IP that comes up when I google 'whats my IP address'). I found the DHCP range which ends at 192.168.0.249, so I went with 192.168.0.250. Still not connecting.

I did notice in the main AP list in the Mist dashboard, where it lists my access points (I only have one) it shows the IP address as something different. This is the 2nd pic in that link above, it says 192.168.0.193. If I click on the settings again everything is as I left it, and the IP says 192.168.0.250.

Does anything about what I entered look off to you?

I put in the home IP address for the default gateway (the IP that comes up when I google 'whats my IP address').

This is incorrect. The Gateway should be your main router's IP address. It's most likely 192.168.0.1

The picture shows you put in an IP address of 192.168.0.25.

You said it ends at 192.168.0.249. How many clients are allowed in the DHCP? Where does it begin?

For the Secondary DNS, you can use Comcast's second DNS 75.75.76.76

jbourne84

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
This is incorrect. The Gateway should be your main router's IP address. It's most likely 192.168.0.1

The picture shows you put in an IP address of 192.168.0.25.

You said it ends at 192.168.0.249. How many clients are allowed in the DHCP? Where does it begin?

For the Secondary DNS, you can use Comcast's second DNS 75.75.76.76

Thanks I caught that too, changed it to 192.168.0.250.

the routers DHCP server settings says the "IP Address Pool" is 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.249, so it seems to allow 150 clients.

I gave it a secondary DNS (that field wasnt required which is why i left it blank). The main menu screen shows the same thing though, that the AP's IP address is 192.168.0.193 . And again, if I enter the settings it still says 192.168.0.250.

Learning lots here!

jbourne84

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
250 should work, but you can make it lower under 100 if you want.

I would restart the router at this point, to try and clear the dhcp server. It may have latched onto your mac address and is still assigning it an address.

I've reset the router and still no luck, I even tried giving the access point an 'IP reservation' within the router, I put in its MAC address and assigned it the same 192.168.0.250 ip address. This didnt work either. And like I said before, giving the AP the same static IP address and everything, the IP listed when I'm out of the settings panel still says 192.168.0.193 .

A friend who is doing this same thing with the same model MIST AP and the same model POE injector had no issues plugging into his router, he has a xfinity supplied modem/router combo. Whereas I am using my own Arris modem and a TP Link archer router... not sure if that could explain anything

jbourne84

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
Ok ive reset everything and removed the static IP settings on the AP, removed the IP reservation on the router. The access point now just says disconnected and flashing LED is giving me the error which states "No ethernet link - Has no link (Seen using power injectors, but not connected to a switch)"

The AP dashboard shows the AP disconnected and the IP address is just blank

kanewolf

Titan
Ok ive reset everything and removed the static IP settings on the AP, removed the IP reservation on the router. The access point now just says disconnected and flashing LED is giving me the error which states "No ethernet link - Has no link (Seen using power injectors, but not connected to a switch)"

The AP dashboard shows the AP disconnected and the IP address is just blank
Did you ever move the POE injector to the AP end? Sometimes too much voltage loss will cause odd problems. Plug the POE injector into the cable the AP is normally connected to and then connect the AP to the injector with a short cable.