• Hey there, Guest! Share your idea for a new trophy in the forums and win bragging rights and a $100 Amazon gift card! Check out the New Community Trophy Contest here!
  • Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

Wireless access to parallel printer ??

I have to provide a home for a Lexmark Optra 1200 printer (parallel
interface). Problem is space - it will have to go upstairs (1st
floor), my PC is on the ground floor, total straight line distance
about 20 meters. There's a wooden floor/ceiling in the way, plus one
(maybe two) load bearing (brick) walls supporting the central
stairway, plus sundry furniture & metal cabinets.

I guess I need a wireless link. I'm not a newbie, but I've not used
wireless Tech before. Browsing the web has so far only confused me :-
Print server, or not? 802.11 or Bluetooth?

My PC has a 1.4Ghz Athlon, 512Mb, Win 98SE (fully patched), USB 1.1,
no NIC installed (but I have one lying around). There's an Epson C60
ink-jet printer currently connected to the parallel port, but I can
move that over to USB. Also price may be an issue, especially as the
budget might be limited to around £75-£100 (gbp) -- yet to be
negotiated with my wife!

Also ... any security implications in such a set-up? ( I run the
Zone-Alarm firewall - relevant?)

Can anyone point me at some friendly non-confusing info on the web?

-- MummerX

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=174

"Douglas Brown" <MummerX_SST@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have to provide a home for a Lexmark Optra 1200 printer (parallel
> interface). Problem is space - it will have to go upstairs (1st
> floor), my PC is on the ground floor, total straight line distance
> about 20 meters. There's a wooden floor/ceiling in the way, plus one
> (maybe two) load bearing (brick) walls supporting the central
> stairway, plus sundry furniture & metal cabinets.
>
> I guess I need a wireless link. I'm not a newbie, but I've not used
> wireless Tech before. Browsing the web has so far only confused me :-
> Print server, or not? 802.11 or Bluetooth?
>
> My PC has a 1.4Ghz Athlon, 512Mb, Win 98SE (fully patched), USB 1.1,
> no NIC installed (but I have one lying around). There's an Epson C60
> ink-jet printer currently connected to the parallel port, but I can
> move that over to USB. Also price may be an issue, especially as the
> budget might be limited to around £75-£100 (gbp) -- yet to be
> negotiated with my wife!
>
> Also ... any security implications in such a set-up? ( I run the
> Zone-Alarm firewall - relevant?)
>
> Can anyone point me at some friendly non-confusing info on the web?
>
> -- MummerX

rus

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2004

"Don" <nospam@please.gov> wrote in message
> http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=174

One thing to note is that these "generic" print servers do not manage the
propietary "bi-directional" code that tells you if the printer is jammed,
printer is out of paper, ink is low, etc.

> "Douglas Brown" <MummerX_SST@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have to provide a home for a Lexmark Optra 1200 printer (parallel
> > interface). Problem is space - it will have to go upstairs (1st
> > floor), my PC is on the ground floor, total straight line distance
> > about 20 meters. There's a wooden floor/ceiling in the way, plus one
> > (maybe two) load bearing (brick) walls supporting the central
> > stairway, plus sundry furniture & metal cabinets.
> >
> > I guess I need a wireless link. I'm not a newbie, but I've not used
> > wireless Tech before. Browsing the web has so far only confused me :-
> > Print server, or not? 802.11 or Bluetooth?
> >
> > My PC has a 1.4Ghz Athlon, 512Mb, Win 98SE (fully patched), USB 1.1,
> > no NIC installed (but I have one lying around). There's an Epson C60
> > ink-jet printer currently connected to the parallel port, but I can
> > move that over to USB. Also price may be an issue, especially as the
> > budget might be limited to around £75-£100 (gbp) -- yet to be
> > negotiated with my wife!
> >
> > Also ... any security implications in such a set-up? ( I run the
> > Zone-Alarm firewall - relevant?)
> >
> > Can anyone point me at some friendly non-confusing info on the web?
> >
> > -- MummerX

rus

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2004

Just to avoid the shock later, might be important to note that these types
of generic print servers don't manage the propietary "bi-directional" code
that tells your computer that the printer is low in in, out of paper,
jammed, etc.

//rus//