Wireless access to parallel printer ??

I have to provide a home for a Lexmark Optra 1200 printer (parallel
interface). Problem is space - it will have to go upstairs (1st
floor), my PC is on the ground floor, total straight line distance
about 20 meters. There's a wooden floor/ceiling in the way, plus one
(maybe two) load bearing (brick) walls supporting the central
stairway, plus sundry furniture & metal cabinets.

I guess I need a wireless link. I'm not a newbie, but I've not used
wireless Tech before. Browsing the web has so far only confused me :-
Print server, or not? 802.11 or Bluetooth?

My PC has a 1.4Ghz Athlon, 512Mb, Win 98SE (fully patched), USB 1.1,
no NIC installed (but I have one lying around). There's an Epson C60
ink-jet printer currently connected to the parallel port, but I can
move that over to USB. Also price may be an issue, especially as the
budget might be limited to around £75-£100 (gbp) -- yet to be
negotiated with my wife!

Also ... any security implications in such a set-up? ( I run the
Zone-Alarm firewall - relevant?)

Can anyone point me at some friendly non-confusing info on the web?

-- MummerX

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=174

"Douglas Brown" <MummerX_SST@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have to provide a home for a Lexmark Optra 1200 printer (parallel
> interface). Problem is space - it will have to go upstairs (1st
> floor), my PC is on the ground floor, total straight line distance
> about 20 meters. There's a wooden floor/ceiling in the way, plus one
> (maybe two) load bearing (brick) walls supporting the central
> stairway, plus sundry furniture & metal cabinets.
>
> I guess I need a wireless link. I'm not a newbie, but I've not used
> wireless Tech before. Browsing the web has so far only confused me :-
> Print server, or not? 802.11 or Bluetooth?
>
> My PC has a 1.4Ghz Athlon, 512Mb, Win 98SE (fully patched), USB 1.1,
> no NIC installed (but I have one lying around). There's an Epson C60
> ink-jet printer currently connected to the parallel port, but I can
> move that over to USB. Also price may be an issue, especially as the
> budget might be limited to around £75-£100 (gbp) -- yet to be
> negotiated with my wife!
>
> Also ... any security implications in such a set-up? ( I run the
> Zone-Alarm firewall - relevant?)
>
> Can anyone point me at some friendly non-confusing info on the web?
>
> -- MummerX

rus

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2004

"Don" <nospam@please.gov> wrote in message
> http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=174

One thing to note is that these "generic" print servers do not manage the
propietary "bi-directional" code that tells you if the printer is jammed,
printer is out of paper, ink is low, etc.

> "Douglas Brown" <MummerX_SST@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have to provide a home for a Lexmark Optra 1200 printer (parallel
> > interface). Problem is space - it will have to go upstairs (1st
> > floor), my PC is on the ground floor, total straight line distance
> > about 20 meters. There's a wooden floor/ceiling in the way, plus one
> > (maybe two) load bearing (brick) walls supporting the central
> > stairway, plus sundry furniture & metal cabinets.
> >
> > I guess I need a wireless link. I'm not a newbie, but I've not used
> > wireless Tech before. Browsing the web has so far only confused me :-
> > Print server, or not? 802.11 or Bluetooth?
> >
> > My PC has a 1.4Ghz Athlon, 512Mb, Win 98SE (fully patched), USB 1.1,
> > no NIC installed (but I have one lying around). There's an Epson C60
> > ink-jet printer currently connected to the parallel port, but I can
> > move that over to USB. Also price may be an issue, especially as the
> > budget might be limited to around £75-£100 (gbp) -- yet to be
> > negotiated with my wife!
> >
> > Also ... any security implications in such a set-up? ( I run the
> > Zone-Alarm firewall - relevant?)
> >
> > Can anyone point me at some friendly non-confusing info on the web?
> >
> > -- MummerX

rus

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2004

Just to avoid the shock later, might be important to note that these types
of generic print servers don't manage the propietary "bi-directional" code
that tells your computer that the printer is low in in, out of paper,
jammed, etc.

//rus//