Wireless Adapter and WAP

Are there any Wireless G adapters with WAP (WPA) available.

Linksys PCI adapter does not support it, neither does Microsoft's.

On the other hand Microsoft's router does.

Something wrong there.

TIA

I don't know what you mean by the MS router does something wrong. If you set
the device to G only, it works fine. If you set it to mixed, it will only do
WEP because 802.11b is not compatible with WAP
Carol

"Natéag" <PasPolitus@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Are there any Wireless G adapters with WAP (WPA) available.
>
> Linksys PCI adapter does not support it, neither does Microsoft's.
>
> On the other hand Microsoft's router does.
>
> Something wrong there.
>

> TIA

Thansk for your reply.

.. Understandable, since 11b will not work with WAP.

The message I got from Microsoft Broadband Utility is that the software does
not
support WAP. Quite possibly it does, when set to 11g only.

"Keppy" <keppy@msn.com> a écrit dans le message de
> I don't know what you mean by the MS router does something wrong. If you
set
> the device to G only, it works fine. If you set it to mixed, it will only
do
> WEP because 802.11b is not compatible with WAP
> Carol
>
> "Natéag" <PasPolitus@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > Are there any Wireless G adapters with WAP (WPA) available.
> >
> > Linksys PCI adapter does not support it, neither does Microsoft's.
> >
> > On the other hand Microsoft's router does.
> >
> > Something wrong there.
> >

> > TIA

Tried it. The adapter seems to support only mixed mode.
So, when I use 11,G only my computer can connect to
11.b available connections, but to mine

My original message did not state that there was something
wrong with the router. It mentioned the adapter -
which is Linksy's - not Microsoft's which is no longer
available at the major retail outlets. But, from what
I have read elsewhere, it does not seem to be different
from Linksys's.

"Natéag" <PasPolitus@nowhere.com> a écrit dans le message de
> Thansk for your reply.
>
> . Understandable, since 11b will not work with WAP.
>
> The message I got from Microsoft Broadband Utility is that the software
does
> not
> support WAP. Quite possibly it does, when set to 11g only.
>
> "Keppy" <keppy@msn.com> a écrit dans le message de
> > I don't know what you mean by the MS router does something wrong. If you
> set
> > the device to G only, it works fine. If you set it to mixed, it will
only
> do
> > WEP because 802.11b is not compatible with WAP
> > Carol
> >
> > "Natéag" <PasPolitus@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > > Are there any Wireless G adapters with WAP (WPA) available.
> > >
> > > Linksys PCI adapter does not support it, neither does Microsoft's.
> > >
> > > On the other hand Microsoft's router does.
> > >
> > > Something wrong there.
> > >

> > > TIA

Your post says that Microsoft's wireless G adapter isn't compatible with WAP
and that is not correct.

> Tried it. The adapter seems to support only mixed mode.
> So, when I use 11,G only my computer can connect to
> 11.b available connections, but to mine
>
> My original message did not state that there was something
> wrong with the router. It mentioned the adapter -
> which is Linksy's - not Microsoft's which is no longer
> available at the major retail outlets. But, from what
> I have read elsewhere, it does not seem to be different
> from Linksys's.
>

> "Natéag" <PasPolitus@nowhere.com> a écrit dans le message de
> > Thansk for your reply.
> >
> > . Understandable, since 11b will not work with WAP.
> >
> > The message I got from Microsoft Broadband Utility is that the software
> does
> > not
> > support WAP. Quite possibly it does, when set to 11g only.
> >
> > "Keppy" <keppy@msn.com> a écrit dans le message de
> > > I don't know what you mean by the MS router does something wrong. If
you
> > set
> > > the device to G only, it works fine. If you set it to mixed, it will
> only
> > do
> > > WEP because 802.11b is not compatible with WAP
> > > Carol
> > >
> > > "Natéag" <PasPolitus@nowhere.com> wrote in message

You are all more or less right.

The Microsoft wireless equipment(base station, adapters) does support WPA

The Microsoft Broadband Network Utility and the Wizards with it will not let
you set it up because they(the software) doesn't support it(only WEP).

However, a fully updated Windows XP does support WPA and can be set up by
using the wireless connections > configure selection(after you install the
adapter driver). Other versions of Windows are not directly supported in
this way.

Hope this helps.

Dick Kistler

Thanks, That settles it as far as I am concerned.

(As far as the « wireless connection - configure option, that is
no longer available on my computer. Apparently disappeared
after installation of Microsoft Broadband Network Utility.
A repair/update after uninstallaing the Broadband Network
Utility has not fixed it.) I will have to reinstall WinXp some day
but not before SP2 is available and has been merged with
the WinXp installation files. That is, unless someone knows
of another way.)