[SOLVED] Wireless adapter disabled and won't restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeirdoWithaCello

Reputable
Mar 29, 2017
I have a custom-built desktop running Windows 10 (hardware and specs below). I use a Linksys USB wireless-adapter for internet, as I can't run a cord to the router. A few times a day, it will lose connectivity; wifi will show as connected, but with no internet, and I'll have to turn wi-fi off and on again to restore connectivity; or the internet-tab in the taskbar will become frozen or non-responsive, and I'll have to unplug and plug in the adapter to restore connectivity; etc. Though I probably should have made a post about these as they happened, I elected to trudge on and deal with it.

Now, however, I had an incident where the adapter all-of-a-sudden turned off (no indicator-lights on the device, which was a first), and would not be recognized by the desktop in any usb port (it was recognized by my laptop, and did light up). After calling Linksys tech support, I tried restarting the computer. However, it remained in the pre-shutdown restart state for about three minutes (which is a first) before I elected to hard-shut it. Now, it's working normally, and the adapter is getting internet. However, I am looking to solve whatever may have caused these incidents to prevent them form reoccurring, or getting worse.

Specs and hardware to follow:

Wireless adapter: Linkys WUSB6300
Motherboard: Asus - Z10PE-D16 WS SSI EEB Dual-CPU LGA2011-3
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2640 v3 @2.60GHZ (x2)
RAM: DDR4 64GB
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti

If you need any more information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Solution
The USB adapter is probably starting to die. I had that exact model and I couldn't connect over the 5G connection even though it had full bars of signal. It would connect and then lose the connection. On the 2.4GHz connection while I was connected at 300mbps I could only get 15mbps download speeds. I changed to a PCIe adapter and haven't had an issue since.
The USB adapter is probably starting to die. I had that exact model and I couldn't connect over the 5G connection even though it had full bars of signal. It would connect and then lose the connection. On the 2.4GHz connection while I was connected at 300mbps I could only get 15mbps download speeds. I changed to a PCIe adapter and haven't had an issue since.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.