Wireless Adapter Driver

JBurnett

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014
Silly question, and I don't want to experiment.

I have an ASUS USB AC-56 Wireless Adapter I've used for a few years with minimal problems. It installed with the O.S. (win 10)- MS generic driver. This may fit into the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" category. :)

The question(s) is:
1) Should I install the ASUS specific driver?
2) Would I achieve faster speeds?
3) If yes to above, would I have to install their Utility, or could I just uninstall the MS one in Device Manager, and simply install the ASUS one by pointing Device Manager to it (which I obviously downloaded previously)?

Thank you

Solution
1. yes definitely. specific drivers will make the device work as it is supposed to do over the generic driver provided by microsoft
2. that depends. there are other factors besides the driver installed. but always do (1)
3. just download the driver. and click on the Asus setup exe file. i am not familiar with the utility tho. but do read the manual or their documentation about it. if you feel you dont need its added features, its not necessary to download unless specified. theres no harm in trying it out for a few days. and if you feel you dont need it. you can uninstall the utlity any time. this will not affect your device.

Please visit their support site here to get the latest version of their driver...

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
1. yes definitely. specific drivers will make the device work as it is supposed to do over the generic driver provided by microsoft
2. that depends. there are other factors besides the driver installed. but always do (1)
3. just download the driver. and click on the Asus setup exe file. i am not familiar with the utility tho. but do read the manual or their documentation about it. if you feel you dont need its added features, its not necessary to download unless specified. theres no harm in trying it out for a few days. and if you feel you dont need it. you can uninstall the utlity any time. this will not affect your device.

Please visit their support site here to get the latest version of their driver
https://www.asus.com/Networking/USBAC56/HelpDesk_Download/

Solution