Wireless adapter keeps dropping connection how do i fix it.?

Azurumi Shinji

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
Hello . i have a N150wireless usb adapter and i have owned it for a good 6 months about at least with no problems at all , it works amazing....until recently for apparently no reason at all it now randomly will say it can not find any internet connection and of course i lose all internet connection and the only way to get it back is to fully shut down the computer. Next things to know...
I did not switch internet provoiders , did not change my router , or modem or even moved anything around...i have changed almost nothing , the only thing is i installed Malwarebytes PRO.
I did UPDATE all the software on my Wireless adapter and my router just last week , and the problem started BEFORE i updated all my software. I also highly doubt its a virus , i have great protection and do scans at least every week with malwarebytes and my main scanner and if you did not know , malwarebytes is like the only anti virus that is safe to use with another , since it was built to be compatible with all others and being the best anti virus is NOT there goal.

So anyways i have windows 7 64 bit...and the connection issue happens every day like 2 times about. does it sound broken , even tho its always safe and never touched? ( trust me it is )

Solution
I would actually be surprised if a USB wireless adapter failed, UNLESS it was plugged in right next to a hot exhaust from, say, a graphics card. Also, go into Control Panel>>System and Security>>Power Options>>Change plan settings>>Change advanced power settings

In the advanced settings menu, check the settings for wireless adapters and then for USB. Set wireless adapter to maximum performance and disable USB selective suspend.

gbryan101

Honorable
May 28, 2013
Boot into safe mode or a rescue environment and see if the problem persists. If it doesn't, then the issue is likely software or firmware, as opposed to hardware. A question, though, when you run Malwarebytes or your other program, do they shut down unexpectedly or otherwise act weird?

Azurumi Shinji

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
Thanks for the reply , and to your question no , they act perfectly fine , they do not even lag , and it is kaspersky btw. And going into safe mode could end up being a hassle since the problem happens at random...i would have to be on safe mode all day and hope the problem did not happen randomly that day. But if i get desperate enough i will try it out. Some one said it sounded fried but idk about that since i have a great surge protector and never had a power outage.

gbryan101

Honorable
May 28, 2013
I would actually be surprised if a USB wireless adapter failed, UNLESS it was plugged in right next to a hot exhaust from, say, a graphics card. Also, go into Control Panel>>System and Security>>Power Options>>Change plan settings>>Change advanced power settings

In the advanced settings menu, check the settings for wireless adapters and then for USB. Set wireless adapter to maximum performance and disable USB selective suspend.

Reactions: JeffON1
Solution

Azurumi Shinji

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
Well i already have everything at max power , but USB was enabled , but before i disable it can you please explain to me what that option does and why it can help out my wireless problem please?

Azurumi Shinji

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
Very interesting idea , thank you i shall try it out. Tho problem is that i dont see why this would happen since i had my Wireless adapter in the same port for like 6 months no problems and i am sure i did not just turn on that feature....but it kinda does seem like it the problem since the dropping is so random.

Azurumi Shinji

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
GBYRyan , Thank you so much man! Ever since i tried your idea out i havent had a single problem yet. I have no clue why it started , but its all over now. No more internet connection problems , Yeah!

ajisom

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015

I know this was posted years ago, but it actually just saved this nagging problem that I've had for a long time. Thanks so much! I though it was just a matter of the wireless router being powered down. I didn't know that there was another setting for powering ALL USB devices. Since I have an external USB-connected adapter, when Windows was saving power it affected all of my USB connected devices (even though I have my desktop set to maximum performance.) I changed it a little while ago and it hasn't dropped since!

If you are having this issue, try this solution (I cannot believe it took me this long to find the correct solution.)

May 23, 2019
Thank you so much gbryan101 !! worked for me as well, just stumbled on this forum by luck. My work computer is wireless internet and has been cutting in and out for 6 months, even had our tech guy called in twice but to no avail. Tried your option and has been working fine since. Thanks again sir