Wireless adapter problems

TheOnion

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
Hello,

I have seen this problem on other forums but never found a solution.

Every time I boot up my laptop my wireless does not work. It worked fine on Vista Home premium 64bit. Once I upgraded to Windows 7 Home premium 64bit the problem started. I use the windows automatic trouble shooter to reset the wireless adapter and it fixes the problem but once I power down or reboot it comes back.

Here are the things I have done already

1. Updated the Intel 5100 Wireless adapter driver.
2. Uninstalled the wireless adapter from Device Manager and let windows redetect it.
3. Updated motherboard BIOS.
4. Changed power settings for the adapter to allow windows to power it down.
5. Bashed my head on the keyboard. This did not help.

That is about all the "solutions" i have found on other forums, including the windows 7 forums.

FYI: This is not an issue with sleep mode. It is with a cold boot or a restart.

All help is appreciated. :)

Solution
You may well have tried this, but have you installed the proset wireless management utility from intel? This allows you to manage how and when your adapter connects and comes out of sleep state etc. If you haven't it would be worth a look because you can actually alter some of the settings on your adapter

Here is a link to the Win7 x64 version on the intel website,

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19149&ProdId=3062&lang=eng

Other than that I am out of ides, sorry

arges86

Distinguished
i doubt this will help much,
but i never commend doing an 'upgrade'
it always leaves something on the OS that can mess it up later.
You can do a full new install using a Win7 upgrade disk (thats what i did), just put Win7 on a new partition, install it, transfer files over, and get rid of the old Vista partition

TheOnion

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
I wish that was a possibility, but right now its not. I use the laptop for occasional work travel. My wife uses it more so a wipe and reinstall would inevitably erase something she needed and forgot to tell me to backup.

Would pictures retain their tags if they are backed up? The laptop has tons of pictures she tagged for easy sorting.

TheOnion

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
Ok well I don't want to get this thread derailed as Reinstall is the solution. Right now that is not an option. I will consider it as a last ditch option. Can anyone suggest something else for me to try?

princeofdreams

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Just a quick question? Does your network card see other networks and just fail to see yours? (if there are other networks in range that is) or does the network card just not work at all i.e. Windows does not acknowledge there is a card there at all.

If it is the former I may well have the solution, if the later I cant help sorry

TheOnion

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
The wireless can't see anything until i reset the adapter. Then it works fine. I took it to a coffee shop yesterday and it didn't work there either until I used the troubleshooter to reset the adapter.

princeofdreams

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
You may well have tried this, but have you installed the proset wireless management utility from intel? This allows you to manage how and when your adapter connects and comes out of sleep state etc. If you haven't it would be worth a look because you can actually alter some of the settings on your adapter

Here is a link to the Win7 x64 version on the intel website,

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19149&ProdId=3062&lang=eng

Other than that I am out of ides, sorry

Solution

TheOnion

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
I installed the Intel wireless management utility, but I do not see where I can use it to manage how and when my adapter connects.

I see where it can run tests: It fails on the Scan test.

TheOnion

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
I found/stumbled upon the solution to this problem. Previously I had uninstalled the wireless adapter from device manager, but I never checked to remove the driver software. I did so and then ran a check for hardware changes. This detected the wireless adapter and reinstalled a driver.

Wireless now works at boot up. Hopefully this will continue.

Windows update wants me to update the driver, but I am hesitant. It works now so I do not want to mess with it.

Thanks for all the help and ideas.

SCHR

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013

I just wanted to say thanks for posting this solution. I've been having issues with a 'wireless minipci in a PCI adapter' for my desktop and your suggestion fixed my problem of the card being recognized every other boot or in some cases not at all.
Cheers mate! Again, thank you!