[SOLVED] Wireless adapter problems

Jan 14, 2019
I just moved into a new apartment for college and I want to connect to their 5GHz wifi with my computer because their 2.4 is terrible. I have other devices I've connected to it, but the network adapter I just got won't see it. I've already checked and it does see other 5GHz networks, but not the college's one. Any ideas on what to do?

Solution
Why would you put one of those tiny USB devices on a desktop. At least it was asus brand rather than one of those $5 units from unknown manufacture you get on amazon.

These small devices have very small antenna and also have very low power radios to conserve battery power on portable equipment. Unfortunately I can't look the actual output power up since the FCC site is down.

First thing to try is a long USB cable and move it away from the machine. The metal case of a desktop makes the small antenna issue even worse.

If you need to use USB devices look for units that have external antenna or already include USB extension cables and maybe a stand for the unit.

Generally the best units on a desktop are internal PCI cards that...

Jwpanz

Honorable
Go into device manager and locate the adapter. Update the driver for it and see if that fixes the issue.

If not, it could be the location of your computer. I’d this a laptop or desktop? 5GHz bands are known for short distances and being easily blocked by walls, floors, and objects in a room. Try moving your computer to a new location.0

Jan 14, 2019

It is a desktop. I managed to download the driver after waiting an hour with it connected by 2.4GHz earlier and it had no effect. The computer is against the wall, but my Chromebook is connected to 5 and it works just fine even when set right on top of the desktop.

Why would you put one of those tiny USB devices on a desktop. At least it was asus brand rather than one of those $5 units from unknown manufacture you get on amazon.

These small devices have very small antenna and also have very low power radios to conserve battery power on portable equipment. Unfortunately I can't look the actual output power up since the FCC site is down.

First thing to try is a long USB cable and move it away from the machine. The metal case of a desktop makes the small antenna issue even worse.

If you need to use USB devices look for units that have external antenna or already include USB extension cables and maybe a stand for the unit.

Generally the best units on a desktop are internal PCI cards that have long coax antenna cables so you can place the antenna on top of the case. These are also the most expensive unit unfortunately.

Solution