Wireless Antennas/WiFi Card Issues

JNVertex

Commendable
Apr 30, 2016
After having difficulties with the internet connection on my PC, I decided to move my computer next to the router and modem to test (couldn't move my router/modem due to the cable and power access). First I connected my ethernet cable to the PC, and the internet worked perfectly (5MB/s and fantastic ping in games). I then removed the ethernet cable and tested the internet with the computer sitting next to the router. The internet was horrible (100-400kB/s and unplayable ping in games). Then I removed the wireless antennas from the back of the PC, leaving the WiFi card as the only thing connecting the internet to the PC. The internet worked perfectly once again with fast speeds and the ping working beautifully. This was without the ethernet cable. After noticing this, I moved my PC back into my room without the ethernet cable or wireless antennas plugged in and the speed/ping went back to being unusable.

What I think is that there is a problem with the WiFi card, antennas or the router itself. The WiFi card may not be compatible with NBN (I just switched to NBN). The wireless antennas might not have enough range (after getting NBN the router moved further away from my PC). The router might also be a problem because other devices in the house haven't been working brilliantly, but still usable.

Also, my Macbook Pro sits right next to my PC and it works fine (high speed, good ping).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pooneil

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013

One possibility is that one or more antennas on your PCIE card were loose. Re-attach the antennas and try again. Make sure the computer case or other metal objects, are not positioned in the line between the antennas and the router. That is a sure way to limit the wifi strength.

When you changed the router, did you change to 5GHz wifi? If so, the signal may not be penetrating your walls like 2.4 GHz did.

Try setting the router to fixed channels instead of auto. Try several channels to see if one makes a difference.

JNVertex

Commendable
Apr 30, 2016

I tried out a different WiFi Card with a completely different antenna too. The problem still persisted. The metal objects and the case that is in the way of the signal has been there for the best year or so, back when my internet was functionally normally.

I went into the router settings and the only band option was 2.4GHz. I guess that means the new router would not have changed to 5GHz Wifi?

I found the best available router channel and switched to that. It made the speed and ping slightly better but still unusable.

I also discovered that all the other devices in the house (including a dodgy 7 year old PC) were getting better speeds and ping than my PC.

Thank you for your assistance.

Pooneil

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013

I am not at all familiar with your equipment, but it seems unlikely that a new router would not have 5GHz capability. That band is on the way to becoming old technology in wifi.

Anyway, that's really all I can offer. Feel free to post your question again as you gather more information. Someone else may take it up.

Good luck.