Hi. I'm at a loss
My Signal is very poor most of the time. Some times it's great but only
lasts for a few minutes than back to poor. So internet browsing is a real
pain coz it cuts out all the time. I've had to disable MSN for a while coz
it's logging on and off like something possessed.
The router is only in the next room linked by cable to a pc and laptops.
Very small hallway between. I have put the router so close to the door if it
gets any closer we may as well be wired.

1/ Is it possible that there could be a fault in the router? The signal was
great at first when we first set it all up, but then started to get 'poor',
and just seems to get worse and worse.

2/ The question I'd also like to know is, would I be able to add an
broadband modem to my PC in order to connect and have efficient access to
the internet directly, but keep the wireless card in order to keep in our
network??
If so how??

Thanx in advance.

Couple of things u can try:
1) Do u see good signal when u take your laptop close to the router?
2) Try placing the router on the wall, higher from ground. The signal
propagation is better somehow.
3) The router could be faulty too, can't say till we try all options.
4) yes u can connect your PC directly to the modem. so the connection will
be something similar to having both the PC and router connected to the modem
directly. The router will provide wireless connectivity while direct
connection to the modem will provide LAN connection.

"J" <nope@tospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I'm at a loss
> My Signal is very poor most of the time. Some times it's great but only
> lasts for a few minutes than back to poor. So internet browsing is a real
> pain coz it cuts out all the time. I've had to disable MSN for a while coz
> it's logging on and off like something possessed.
> The router is only in the next room linked by cable to a pc and laptops.
> Very small hallway between. I have put the router so close to the door if
> it
> gets any closer we may as well be wired.
>
> 1/ Is it possible that there could be a fault in the router? The signal
> was
> great at first when we first set it all up, but then started to get
> 'poor',
> and just seems to get worse and worse.
>
> 2/ The question I'd also like to know is, would I be able to add an
> broadband modem to my PC in order to connect and have efficient access to
> the internet directly, but keep the wireless card in order to keep in our
> network??
> If so how??
>
> Thanx in advance.

Thanks for your reply.
I've found that in the last few days that the connection is perfect at
certain times of the day.
> 4) yes u can connect your PC directly to the modem. so the connection will
> be something similar to having both the PC and router connected to the
modem
> directly.

The set up now is the modem is in the other room connected to the router and
wired laptops.
I want to know if I can I keep that set up and use another modem for my pc
which is having these signal problems. There is a telephone point near by.
So I was thinking to install another dsl modem to my pc so that it would
have a connection to the internet? But keep the wireless card in order to
connect to the network.
Thanks