[SOLVED] Wireless AP -> ethernet cable -> Wireless AP

Oct 31, 2020
Hi - hoping someone could offer advice on routing internet into our outbuilding. We've just had this built, and they've laid us an ethernet cable between it and the house.

At the outbuilding end, I have a Netgear AC750 which has an ethernet port so I can plug in and pump wifi into the studio.

At the house end, though, it would be impractical to route a cable from where it is (the kitchen) to the router (in our lounge).

I'm sure there's a simple way to hook it to something that would sit in the kitchen and access the house wifi, plugged into the ethernet cable in order to pass internet on ... but I'm not sure what that would look like.

Advice welcome :)

Solution
How far away is the building and can you lay an Ethernet cable between your house and the building? If so, you can do an LAN to LAN connection to an AP in the outbuilding (or cheap router set up as an AP). The device that you have does not have that ability AFAIK.

edit: powerline will work if it is on the same mains box as the house circuit -- and you would want to use AV2-1000 or better devices. But an Ethernet cable would be best if possible. If the building is quite far you could use a pair of directional APs (like Ubiquiti).

RealBeast

Titan
How far away is the building and can you lay an Ethernet cable between your house and the building? If so, you can do an LAN to LAN connection to an AP in the outbuilding (or cheap router set up as an AP). The device that you have does not have that ability AFAIK.

edit: powerline will work if it is on the same mains box as the house circuit -- and you would want to use AV2-1000 or better devices. But an Ethernet cable would be best if possible. If the building is quite far you could use a pair of directional APs (like Ubiquiti).

Solution

kanewolf

Titan