Wireless AP success and a question

Hackworth

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

Last week, the cable guy came and installed a cable modem, registered the
modem's MAC and verified that the modem was working with his network, then
left. After that, I went to work. I set up a Linksys wireless AP and
successfully connected four computers (all wirelessly, although the laptop
was *initially* connected with cable so that I could configure the router).
I have 128-bit WEP enabled, MAC filtering is active, the SSID, host name and
password are all changed, and we're good to go. We love the fast Internet
connection, and all is well.

Question: My wife doesn't have a printer and would like to occasionally
print stuff from one of the printers connected to one of the other computers
on the network. I've set up an infrastructure network (not ad-hoc), so I'm
not quite sure how to go about doing the necessary plumbing work to get her
access to a printer. Nothing shows up in My Network Places. Can someone at
least point me in the right direction?

You could try to go in and set up print and file sharing on the computer
with the printer on it, and the choose to share that printer. That is
depending if you have a firewall and what the settings are on that. I
run a dlink router with 4 computers and this is what I do for printer
access. Now if you don't want to punch holes in your firewall settings
there are adapters out that will (printer port to ethernet) then all
you have to do is load the drivers for your printer on each computer.
you can find them at most online computer retailers or stop at your
local computer shop and ask them if they carry them. I hope I helped
you out.

--
stcommtech

"Hackworth" <NoSpam4Me@Spamless.net> wrote in

> I've set up an infrastructure network (not ad-hoc), so I'm
> not quite sure how to go about doing the necessary plumbing work to
> get her access to a printer. Nothing shows up in My Network Places.
> Can someone at least point me in the right direction?

Easiest way would be to get a Print server - about 60.00USD. Linksys and
Dlink have such products.

Otherwise you can setup file/print sharing on the PC with the printer. The
PC will have to be on whenever your wife wishes to print.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

Lucas Tam wrote:
> "Hackworth" <NoSpam4Me@Spamless.net> wrote in
>
>> I've set up an infrastructure network (not ad-hoc), so I'm
>> not quite sure how to go about doing the necessary plumbing work to
>> get her access to a printer. Nothing shows up in My Network Places.
>> Can someone at least point me in the right direction?
>
> Easiest way would be to get a Print server - about 60.00USD. Linksys
> and Dlink have such products.
>
> Otherwise you can setup file/print sharing on the PC with the
> printer. The PC will have to be on whenever your wife wishes to print.

FWIW, the Hawking print servers are clearly [IMO] more robust and
trouble-free than other consumer-grade servers. Check newegg for
prices. Hawking servers simply work as they should, as it is with their
equipment in general - a characteristic that Linksys/Dlink/Netgear
apparently forgot in their design specs. A few dollars more expensive,
but worth every penny.

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 22:29:27 -0400, "Hackworth"
<NoSpam4Me@Spamless.net> wrote:

>Question: My wife doesn't have a printer and would like to occasionally
>print stuff from one of the printers connected to one of the other computers
>on the network. I've set up an infrastructure network (not ad-hoc), so I'm
>not quite sure how to go about doing the necessary plumbing work to get her
>access to a printer. Nothing shows up in My Network Places. Can someone at
>least point me in the right direction?

Four possible solutions.

1. Setup printer sharing on your machine so your wife can print to y
our printer. Since you didn't bother to specify the operating system,
I'll assume Windoze XP. See:
for instructions.

2. Add a print server. This is nice because she can print without
having to have your computer turned on. Your unspecified model
printer might have a recommended print server or card slot for adding
a print server. This works nicely for laser and injet printers and
doesn't work at all for multi-malfunction printer/scanner/fax/copier
contraptions. Also, make some determination if your unspecified
printer is using a parallel port or USB port to print as print servers
come in various interface types. There are also wireless print
servers available if you want to move the printer around.

3. Just buy her a printer. You'll find the price about the same as
new print server. Unless you have a really fancy or expensive
printer, it's usually not worth sharing. The only problem I've found
with duplicate printers is everyone tends to steal each others ink
cartridges. That can be prevented by buying her a different brand of
printer.

4. It's a bit late, but there are routers that have built in print
serers. However, you already have a router so that's not an option.
I just threw it in for completeness.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

Hackworth <NoSpam4Me@spamless.net> wrote:
> Question: My wife doesn't have a printer and would like to occasionally
> print stuff from one of the printers connected to one of the other computers
> on the network. I've set up an infrastructure network (not ad-hoc), so I'm

You don't mention which OS you are running.
Any one of the Windows OS levels is easy to set up.
Windows XP with Service Pack 2 has some firewall options that have to be
adjusted, so it's a little different, but they all work.

This might be one place to start:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314073
If you have WindowsXP SP2, the firewall might need some investigation.

--
---

> 1. Setup printer sharing on your machine so your wife can print to y
> our printer. Since you didn't bother to specify the operating system,
> I'll assume Windoze XP. See:
> for instructions.

That series hasn't been updated for the more restrictive firewall of WinXP SP2.

This might be too deep.
Troubleshooting Windows Firewall settings in Windows XP Service Pack 2

Maybe this one.
Manually Configuring Windows Firewall in Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0204.mspx

---

Chuck

Distinguished