Wireless Arc Mouse (and touch) constantly freezing up

CyberEvil

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014
I have a baffling issue with my Microsoft Arc Mouse (and an Arc Touch that I also tried). In my apartment on my new desktop computer (Asus Essentio m11bb-b07 from Best Buy that I upgraded with a 600w psu and a new graphics card, all working fine) and also to a lesser extent my previous laptop, my wireless mouse freezes up every so often for a second to five seconds at a time. Windows 8.1 Pro on both systems. Shaking the mouse around eventually gets it to move again but it's like it's losing contact with the transceiver. Again, this happens on two different mice, and it happens regardless of what USB port I use. I've also changed the batteries. Important to note the issue happened before swapping the psu out for the new one so I doubt I missed any connections leading to things being underpowered.

The USB ports (6 2.0 and 2 3.0) all otherwise work as I tested an Xbox 360 gamepad and it works fine in the same ones that give me trouble. If I plug the mouse into one of the two front facing ports the issue is lessened but still present. If I plug in my self-powered USB 3.0 hub and put my mouse into that, the issue appears to disappear altogether. It's also important to note that I don't hear the little beeps that something has been disconnected or reconnected, but do if I get up and physically pull them out or plug them back in, so it's not like the ports are losing the connections themselves. I think, anyway.

I thought the problem was wireless interference, and it still might be I guess, so I changed channels several times on my 2.4Ghz band on my router and connected the computer to the 5Ghz band instead. I moved the antenna attachment for the tower a bit further away too. No dice, still happens unless it's in the hub.

I disabled Selective Suspend, disabled the power management settings for all of the USB root hubs in device manager, and downloaded the MS Keyboard and Mouse center thing that passes for a driver download on their site. I even updated the BIOS since it was out of date. I'm really, truly at a loss. Is it the tower itself that's the problem? That's the only thing I can think of after everything I've tried but I'm all ears for any help anyone can provide. I've only found similar issues through searching the forums and Google and nothing that seems to be my issue. Thanks so much in advance!

UPDATE: I think I may have found the culprit after trying nearly everything else I could think of: my metal mousepad. My tower sits across the room and my mouse is on the couch with me elevated above everything else. When the mouse would go to low on the pad (couch is angled so that you're naturally leaned back), that's where the issue would happen, though I didn't realize it at the time. I was able to further back up my theory by purposely holding the mousepad up between the tower and my mouse and it would completely cut the signal. Put the USB transceiver back into the tower and used, of all things, an old laptop cooling pad that's angled perfectly and has no metal in it and not an issue since. Even rebooted just to make sure.

Going to keep this open just in case anyone has any other ideas and the issue pops up but yeah. Might have solved it myself.