Wireless bridge(?) connecting wired ethernet devices to wireless-N

schemieradge

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
Not exactly sure how this is accomplished - can anyone help.

I have a wireless-N router providing the internet access for the house (ipads/pods/laptops etc).

I want to set up a HTPC and NAS (in a physically different location from the wireless-N router) which can communicate with each other at gigabit speeds, and also for each to be able to access the internet.
Was looking at running cat6 cable from the wireless-N router and having a gigabit switch with the NAS and HTPC on the end.

But wondering if an alternative to running cable is to have the equivalent of a gigabit switch with the NAS and HTPC, but connecting back to the internet via the wireless... so this could be a 2nd wireless device operating in client mode providing internet for the NAS & HTPC.
Is this the same job as a wireless bridge?
Can anyone recommend a device that would do such a job?

Cheers?

schemieradge

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013

That's fine I think.. I'm only worried about gigabit speeds between the HTPC and NAS. For communication from either of them outbound (eg. you tube/iplayer) I'm perfectly happy with slower speeds since the download speed from my ISP will be the greater bottleneck.

schemieradge

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013

Thanks.. so I guess THIS is what I want to be doing for the router connected to the NAS/HTPC?

And I guess I can use a gigabit switch connected to a separate wireless-n router if that turns out cheaper than a gigabit wireless-n router?