Question Wireless Bridge to Wireless router via wired connection

Aug 10, 2020
Currently my setup, which works fine, is
1. a modem/wireless router and​
2. a wireless router connected to 1 as a wireless bridge and my laptop, etc. are plugged into its LAN ports.​

I have
3. another wireless router that I am trying to connect to 2 via cable - LAN port to LAN port - to have wireless in the room with 2.​
I haven't been able to figure out what the settings should be. I've disabled DHCP on 3 and set it's LAN IP number to be one greater than 2. I've included a screenshot of the WAN settings page for 3 below - the IP addresses that I thought should go in there are not accepted by the router software and it won't allow me to save them.

Sorry, I don't know much about this networking stuff ...

PvkMWO8.jpg

kanewolf

Titan
Currently my setup, which works fine, is
1. a modem/wireless router and​
2. a wireless router connected to 1 as a wireless bridge and my laptop, etc. are plugged into its LAN ports.​

I have
3. another wireless router that I am trying to connect to 2 via cable - LAN port to LAN port - to have wireless in the room with 2.​
I haven't been able to figure out what the settings should be. I've disabled DHCP on 3 and set it's LAN IP number to be one greater than 2. I've included a screenshot of the WAN settings page for 3 below - the IP addresses that I thought should go in there are not accepted by the router software and it won't allow me to save them.

Sorry, I don't know much about this networking stuff ...

PvkMWO8.jpg
If you connect to another LAN port on router 3 do you have internet?
You need to look at the DHCP screen on router 1 to determine what IP addresses are not in the range. If the DHCP screen on router 1 shows 2 - 250 then you would have to set the LAN IP address of router 3 to 251 to ensure it doesn't conflict.

Aug 10, 2020
If you connect to another LAN port on router 3 do you have internet?
You need to look at the DHCP screen on router 1 to determine what IP addresses are not in the range. If the DHCP screen on router 1 shows 2 - 250 then you would have to set the LAN IP address of router 3 to 251 to ensure it doesn't conflict.

Thanks for the reply.

Changed LAN port on router 3 - still no connection.

DHCP range on router 1 is 100-200.

I am a bit confused about LAN vs. WAN IPs.

Router 2's WAN IP is 201 and LAN IP is the factory setting, 2.1. Router2 is not running DHCP because I think I want router 1 to serve the IP address to my laptop, etc. (right?).

Router 3's WAN IP is 202 and LAN IP is 2.2. Router 3 has DHCP disabled too.

Router 1's IP is the default gateway for both router 2 & 3. DNS is for both router 2 & 3 is same as router 1's.

Aug 10, 2020
Thanks for the reply.

Router 2's WAN IP is 201 and LAN IP is the factory setting, 2.1. Router2 is not running DHCP because I think I want router 1 to serve the IP address to my laptop, etc. (right?).

Router 1's IP is the default gateway for both router 2 & 3. DNS is for both router 2 & 3 is same as router 1's.

Also wanted to add that when my laptop's ethernet is connected to router 3 it is still able to access router 2 settings via the 2.1 IP, so something is passing through ...

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks for the reply.

My question wasn't clear. What I was asking, is if you connect a PC to a LAN port on router 3 does the PC have internet access. I am trying to verify the link back to the primary router.

OK. So if the DHCP range on router 1 is 100 - 200 , and I will guess the LAN subnet is 192.168.0.x (substitute for whatever it is).
Then you could manually assign the LAN IP address of router2 to be 192.168.0.2 and router3 to be 192.168.0.3
If you plug into the LAN port on either router2 or router3 you should get a 192.168.0.1xx (100 - 200) address.

The LAN settings on router2 and router3 are all that matter. Ignore the WAN settings.
The LAN settings on each router should be the same except for the IP address.
They should both point to router1 as the default gateway.
NONE of the LAN settings should matter for anything except accessing the GUI of the router.
Plugging in LAN to LAN and having the DHCP server on router2 and router3 disabled should allow you to plug in a LAN cable to either and get internet from router1

Aug 10, 2020
I set router2 to 192.168.0.2 and router3 to 192.168.0.3, both with router1 (192.168.0.1) as the default gateway. Now the wireless bridge from router2 to router1 is not working. I tried rebooting all routers - still no success.

I also cannot access router2 & router3's settings at their new IP addresses (or at all) when plugging directly into each one from my laptop. (Only thing I know to do is a hard reset to get their factory IP setting back...)