Wireless Broadband? Good? Bad?

franker45

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
Does anybody have some opinions/experiences with wireless internet connections? I've read that it can be faster than cable/DSL, but only from the companies that provide it. Is it reliable? This is my last broadband option since I can't get cable or DSL, and satellite has too high of a ping for gaming. Thanks.

I was of the opinion this kind of stuff was for companies who have WANs. A satelite dish on their roof etc?

Sounds very expensive.

<b><font color=blue>~ Whew! Finished...Now all I need is a Cyrix badge ~ </font color=blue> :wink: </b>

franker45

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
as far as i understand, it works using microwaves, and they place an antenna on your roof. It's supposed to be pretty fast and reliable, but I want to hear what the customers have to say.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
oh yea, i remember hearing about that. when we moved into our new building at work we considered this, the building didnt come with a t-1 line. the building was leased so we didnt want to move in, install a t-1 and then have to leave it when we left that building. but any way, i would check into this before you get your hopes up, i think its t-1 speed, and the equipment was very expensive.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.

franker45

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
The equipment and installation fee from the ISP I'm looking into is $350, but if you cancel your service, they give some of that money back and take away the equipment. Monthly costs are around $50~$65. It's overall about the same cost as satellite, but it doesn't have the high latencies. All I'm looking for is someone who's had some experience with it so I know what I'm getting into beforehand.