[SOLVED] Wireless Business Network Help (For a total Dummy)

Jan 29, 2019
I run a small business (with basically no tech budget) with internet by Charter Spectrum Business. While back we were getting awful speeds on thew wifi. Figured the provided modem/router combo was junk. So I bought a new wifi router. Plugged it in, went through the process, called Charter to turn the wifi off once the new router was running. Lost all internet (wired too). Something went wrong on Charters end, three days later they come out to fix it. Say they can make their modem/router work right, get it back up and running to correct speeds. In the process they change the static IP and everything stops working. I have to manually update all the printers, etc. but we finally get it working.

Few weeks later we start to get slow speeds again. I call Charter. They seem fairly clueless. Say they have to send someone out. He checks all the equipment, goes outside to check the cables. They say something about the signal "being borderline" and he schedules a truck to come work on the lines. (Wired network running at 60mbps and wireless at 1.5mbps this whole time... I have no idea what they're doing.) They never get it running right.

I decide to plug in the new router I bought and just set up entirely different wifi networks. Works fine and speeds are back up to 60mbps where they should be. (I know it's not exactly an efficient install.)

Only problems I am having with it though is connecting to printers and one computer that's connected to our network through hardline. I can connect to them on the other wireless network (from the modem/router provided), but not from the new router plugged into the old modem/router. Is there something simple I'm overlooking that will make those last few things work right? I'm really looking for solutions that would not require involving Charter... I'd rather just suffer through not every having the problem solved.

I know I'm supposed to provide a lot of technical details, but being an idiot I don't have much:
- Charter Modem/Router: SMC D3CM1604 (as best I can tell at least... I think Charter added their own branding)
- New Router: Asus AC1900
- The wired network runs through some netgear hubs, which I think predate even the company here and were installed by the previous company. If they're managed hubs we're not doing anything to manage them.

Solution
What you should do is put the Asus router in AP mode. If you havent and you have it plugged into your existing network via its WAN port you have created a different subnet and they are unable to communicate. There should be an option within the Asus to do this.
What you should do is put the Asus router in AP mode. If you havent and you have it plugged into your existing network via its WAN port you have created a different subnet and they are unable to communicate. There should be an option within the Asus to do this.

Solution
Jan 29, 2019
Super delayed in getting around to trying this and responding, but finally got a change.

Hit the nail on the head, bullseye, hole in one, take your pick. Works perfectly. I appreciate the help with this.