Wireless camera 2.4ghz

bayside30

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014
Our farm has wireless cameras 2.4 ghz located in one of our barns, so at birthing time we can watch from our tv in the house. I added a 2.4 ghz yagi antenna to the receiver and increased our distance from 150 ft to over 450 ft. My question is , can I add a repeater between the too and increase the distance to even farther yet.?

Solution
A repeater is one of those devices that are only good on paper, and not in practice.

A repeater has to receive the signal from the source, and then rebroadcast it to the client devices. This creates a large delay and reduces the bandwidth in half. For something like an IP camera, this would become almost useless.

What you can do is create a dual radio setup. Have one device as a bridge (receives data from source) conncted via ethernet to another device as a access point.
Ubiquiti makes a device that can be used for either purpose, called a ubiquiti bullet.
http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-BULLET-M2-HP-Outdoor-802-11-M2HP/dp/B002SYS22E

They make devices with their own integrated antennas, but I like the bullets more because you can...
A repeater is one of those devices that are only good on paper, and not in practice.

A repeater has to receive the signal from the source, and then rebroadcast it to the client devices. This creates a large delay and reduces the bandwidth in half. For something like an IP camera, this would become almost useless.

What you can do is create a dual radio setup. Have one device as a bridge (receives data from source) conncted via ethernet to another device as a access point.
Ubiquiti makes a device that can be used for either purpose, called a ubiquiti bullet.
http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-BULLET-M2-HP-Outdoor-802-11-M2HP/dp/B002SYS22E

They make devices with their own integrated antennas, but I like the bullets more because you can use your own seperate antenna so when your needs change you just change the antenna.

So you would need 2 of these bullets, 2 antennas, an ethernet cable and of course power at the locaiton.

There might be a better way of utilizing equipment, but just as a completely seperate inbetween device this is your best option.

Solution