Wireless card difference?

lukeybash123

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014
So,
I currently connect to the internet using the built in gigaport, but on the internet speed test by ookla my download speed is 4.33 mbps and my upload speed is 0.72 mbps. If I got an Asus PCE-N15 wireless card would I have better internet speed? (My router is next to my pc)

Solution
Your internet isn't fast but as long as you don't have a bad ping to the servers you normally use (in the 3 digits would be bad, if you could get it down to below 30ms... that would be great) then there shouldn't be any real issues for most uses other than downloading/uploading.

Wireless will never be faster than your wired gigabit or better connection for real time transfer, don't even consider it... (100mb is still faster than most wireless for transfers and is faster when you consider transmission delay (lag/ping time)).

lukeybash123

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014

Is my current internet speed fast or should I upgrade to fibre optic? (im in the uk using sky broadband)

APassingMe

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014
Your internet isn't fast but as long as you don't have a bad ping to the servers you normally use (in the 3 digits would be bad, if you could get it down to below 30ms... that would be great) then there shouldn't be any real issues for most uses other than downloading/uploading.

Wireless will never be faster than your wired gigabit or better connection for real time transfer, don't even consider it... (100mb is still faster than most wireless for transfers and is faster when you consider transmission delay (lag/ping time)).

Solution

OriginalCadaver

Reputable
May 24, 2014
You aren't going to improve your up/down speeds by changing cards, you need to upgrade your internet package from Sky. Those speeds look like DSL, if they are what the ISP advertises then you have to upgrade. If the speeds are less than what your ISP advertises then give them a call and they will send out a tech.