[SOLVED] Wireless card (Intel AC9260) runs fine on speed test, browser, and youtube, but not in games/ on video conferences

Anemone-66

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2012
I'm wondering if someone can tell me what is going on. I've tried looking for an answer on google to no avail.

My PC has an intel AC 9260, I've recently updated all drivers. It is a lenovo yoga 730.
When I run a speed test I get 35+mbs download speed, and 7-10mbs upload speed.
However, When I try to use discord, video conference, play something simple like league of legends, etc.
(gtx 1050 4gb and 16gb of ram)
I get about 100kbs if I'm lucky both on up and down speeds. Which eventually means my video conferencing calls are without video, audio lags by up to 1 second and it leads to a very messy situation.
In games this leads to 200-1000ms ping
No other machine in the house has this issue, Lenovo blames my ISP but clearly not the issue. They state it may be a system configuration issue (Which would be lenovo's fault for not testing this before sending it out).

I'm just wondering what I need to do to fix this issue, clearly my system is recognizing I have better speed but when launching apps I get 1/30th or so of what my maximum would be!

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Solution
It would be nice if wifi chips actually told you how many errors and retransmissions they were getting.

You can configure almost nothing on wifi in general. It depends on the device some pc have no options. The ones that do have very limited options. Everything is negotiated with the router.

Best first test is to try 2.4g if you are running 5g or the reverse. Sometime the only way to do this is to choose the proper SSID. If you have the 2.4g and 5g SSID the same on your router the PC will pick what it "thinks" is best.
If your PC has the option it is better to force a radio band.

You start to suspect a defective wifi card especially if it does it on both 2.4 and 5g.
It is too bad that the device does not have a ethernet port it would quickly show you if it was some wifi issue or something else.

You are going to have to do some more careful testing. Speedtest is not affected as much by interference on the wifi. This is even more true when you have a relatively slow ISP connection like you do. There is plenty of time to tolerate data retransmission. If it was a 300mbps connection you many times can see issues on wifi.

The simplest test is to ping your router IP and see how stable the ping time is. If you see large spikes in the ping times it can easily cause the issues you see.

Try to sit directly next to the router and see if it is better.

Still there is not much you can really do to fix wifi. You need to verify that you have the correct driver. After that it is the standard try 2.4g or 5g and see if one works better. You can try to change the channel on the router. You can also force the bandwidth to 20mhz only on most routers. Be aware that will drop you top transfer speed, but it likely will still be above your 35mbps internet connection.

RTV-5

Reputable
Jul 7, 2019
I'm wondering if someone can tell me what is going on. I've tried looking for an answer on google to no avail.

My PC has an intel AC 9260, I've recently updated all drivers. It is a lenovo yoga 730.
When I run a speed test I get 35+mbs download speed, and 7-10mbs upload speed.
However, When I try to use discord, video conference, play something simple like league of legends, etc.
(gtx 1050 4gb and 16gb of ram)
I get about 100kbs if I'm lucky both on up and down speeds. Which eventually means my video conferencing calls are without video, audio lags by up to 1 second and it leads to a very messy situation.
In games this leads to 200-1000ms ping
No other machine in the house has this issue, Lenovo blames my ISP but clearly not the issue. They state it may be a system configuration issue (Which would be lenovo's fault for not testing this before sending it out).

I'm just wondering what I need to do to fix this issue, clearly my system is recognizing I have better speed but when launching apps I get 1/30th or so of what my maximum would be!

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Enable wmm in your wireless router's configuration... Probably found somewhere under QOS... If it isn't enabled it will definately improve your situation if you enable it.

Enable wmm in your wireless router's configuration... Probably found somewhere under QOS... If it isn't enabled it will definately improve your situation if you enable it.
WMM tends to be a complete waste of time.

First it only has impact on the wifi traffic going from the router to the client. This is seldom the bottleneck the wifi is many times faster than most people internet.

Next what is "video" and what is "voice". How does the router know this. Many consumer routers you can not even configure this it is just a ON/OFF. To be effective you have to actually tell the router what traffic meets these criteria.

What some routers did/do is try to intercept things like SIP or H323 data sessions to find the ports being used by the actual data streams. This does not work well any more because almost all these session are now encrypted. It might be able to prioritize the control session but it can not determine the UDP ports that are actually carrying the data. On consumer routers this is even further complicated by the NAT that pretty much break any thing that works like SIP.

Just not worth the effort. It is another check box item router manufacture put in the feature list to make things look impressive for those consumers who are too lazy to learn what the acronyms really mean and how they function. They are selling to the "more is always better" mentality

Anemone-66

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2012
Here's the thing. My laptop runs fast on WIFI (Referring to simply using chrome and lighter applications) but again, only in video games and voice calls do I have the huge lag/ basically cannot use it.
My desktop works fine (on wifi or not) when it comes to games, video chat, etc. So it begs the question, why my laptop. What do I have to configure on the LAPTOP itself?
My network is not the issue no matter how close I get to the router the quality is the same.

Is there something on the LAPTOP that I have to do to get the wifi to properly work like all the other systems that are on my network?

It would be nice if wifi chips actually told you how many errors and retransmissions they were getting.

You can configure almost nothing on wifi in general. It depends on the device some pc have no options. The ones that do have very limited options. Everything is negotiated with the router.

Best first test is to try 2.4g if you are running 5g or the reverse. Sometime the only way to do this is to choose the proper SSID. If you have the 2.4g and 5g SSID the same on your router the PC will pick what it "thinks" is best.

You start to suspect a defective wifi card especially if it does it on both 2.4 and 5g.

Solution

Anemone-66

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2012

Switching between 5g and 2.4g does virtually nothing, no differences noted. Luckily I can call up lenovo and demand a wifi card swap but they will only do hardware they wont do further trouble shooting. :rolleyes: