Wireless connection between 2 buildings 150' (45m) apart -..

Hi. I'm trying to get a network connection between an office and a
shop in different buildings to run software, copy files and use a
broadband internet link without stringing a wire between the two....

Due to the construction of one building (steel clad, steel beams,
concrete block infil, and the other, 9" solid brick walls plus trees
etc.. I suspect I will need some sort of external antenna to get a
reasonable connection.

There is easy line of site from the top of the main building to the
top of the other one, however the main building is physically lower
than the second building (about 20-30 feet lower).

I thought about using a DLink DWL2100AP Router and a DLink G810 Bridge
however:

1. Will external antenna or antennae help? Initial tests with borrowed
equipment show a very weak signal due I think to the number of solid
items in the way with standard aerials irrespective of location.

2. There is no practical problem with installing any of the listed
available antennae at http://www.dlink.com/products/antennas.asp
however I would prefer that the aerial is on the main building, the
lower of the two buildings. This is only for aesthetic reasons in
that's a new office and might be less obtrusive.

2.1 Omnidirectional external antenna ANT24-1500 or AND24-0800. When
reading the technical specs of these antennae they refer to downward
vertical angles of -5 or up to -30 degrees - does this mean I have to
put the aerial on a long pole so it works in the higher building or
can I tilt it in some way? Sorry if this is a daft question!

2.2 Directional antenna. They refer to tilting left and right but not
up and down. Since one building is lower than the other to get line of
site do I will have to tilt the lower one upwards?

Thanks for reading. I am a complete novice to this and sorry if my
questions appear silly but I can't see anything in the newsgroup along
the same lines....

Richard L <richard@informe.co.uk> wrote:
> There is easy line of site from the top of the main building to the
> top of the other one, however the main building is physically lower
> than the second building (about 20-30 feet lower).
> 1. Will external antenna or antennae help? Initial tests with borrowed
> equipment show a very weak signal due I think to the number of solid
> items in the way with standard aerials irrespective of location.

Yes. If you see signal at all, external antennas will help.

> 2.1 Omnidirectional external antenna ANT24-1500 or AND24-0800. When
> reading the technical specs of these antennae they refer to downward

You don't want omni if you are intending to do point to point. The
radiation in an omni pattern is going lots of places you don't need it or
want it. They mention the tilt because that is part of the problem in
providing omnidirectional coverage. If you tilt the tower, the "up" side
will be airborne.

> 2.2 Directional antenna. They refer to tilting left and right but not
> up and down. Since one building is lower than the other to get line of

You would point directly at the other "point". You should be able to point
directly at the other antenna in a point-to-point, so yes, there would be
left/right and up/down tilt.

--
---

OK this is overkill but is bound to work.

I recommend you forget using the G810 take 2 APs in Point-to-Point
bridging mode. Use 2 "ANT24-1400" directional antennas. You can mount
them indoors (on, or in front of, a window, *not a wall*), but make
sure they are pointing towards each other and then give it a try. The
less the obstructions in the middle the better.

The ANT24-1400 is a 14dBi antenna , this is a picture of its range
under ideal working conditions on a Point-to-point, LOS
connection.[image:
http://www.dlink.com/images/products/ANT24-1400/ANT24-1400_anRange.jpg]

Its recommended you use antenna directional antennae on both ends.

If you use a High Gain Directinal Antenna like the one above, DO NOT
STAND IN FRONT OF IT!!!

2.2 Directional antenna. They refer to tilting left and right but not
up and down. Since one building is lower than the other to get line of
site do I will have to tilt the lower one upwards?

OK regarding the directional antenna vertical and horizontal
polarisation
Here goes.

Vertical and Horisontal Polarisation is the amount in degrees that the
beam spreads after leaving the antenna. The ANT24-1400 has a
polarisation in both vertical and horizontal of 30 degrees. That means
that is radiates it's signal in a cone of 30 degrees almost like an
ice-cream cone. The further you go the signal gets wider and weaker.

This is just a suggestion!! and is definitely overkill.

--
mikem