[SOLVED] Wireless connection considerably slower than actual speed on other devices

donuttb

Honorable
Dec 10, 2017
Hi all,

I am currently spending Lockdown at my girlfriends house which has recently had fibre connection installed. Prior to this I was getting speeds of 15 down, 3 or so up. Once the fibre was installed I was seeing speeds of 200+ down and 30 up on my phone, and everyone elses devices, besides by PC. My PC while getting better speeds of about 30 down hasn't seen that much of a jump and seems to have become slightly less stable as it drops to around 0.7 down and fails upload speed tests on occasions.

I have tested this while alone in the house and I have tried numerous methods or remedying this but no luck, I've tried malware scanning, resetting the TCP/IP stack and driver updates. Bought a new network dongle and yet speeds stay the same, so I'm starting to wonder whats up. I have no excess downloads and I've given time for the fibre to stabilise (about a week) and I have ensure that the other devices testing the connection have been sat directly next to the network card and dongle when testing the speeds and getting results of 200+ down. The house mac and my laptop also gets around 150+ down when sat where my PC is.

My PC specs are
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800x
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mhz DDR4
MOBO: MSI B450 Tomohawk MAX
GPU: GTX 2060
PSU: CORSAIR TX850M 850W 80 Plus Gold Power Supply
Network Card: Asus pce-n15 11n
Wifi Dongle: TP-Link TL-WN823N Wi-Fi Dongle, 300 Mbps
Windows 10 64 Bit
Router: BT smart Hub 2 with Halo 2 extender installed
plan: BT Full Fibre 100/150

There are 13 devices connected to the router - 2 iPhone 8s, 1 iPhone XR and 1 Redmi Note 7, 2 iPads, 1 Mac, Xbox one, Sky box, Samsung Tab A, Kindle tablet, mac book air and my PC.

Thanks in advance

Solution
TP-Link TL-WN823N Wi-Fi Dongle, 300 Mbps
That's basically why. You're also competing with other ISM (2.4 GHz) band interference, especially if you live in a dense wifi area. Your phone likely has a dual band radio so it binds to 5 GHz instead and offers more bandwidth with less interference. The NIC you're using is single band N on 2.4.

I'd upgrade the NIC.

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
TP-Link TL-WN823N Wi-Fi Dongle, 300 Mbps
That's basically why. You're also competing with other ISM (2.4 GHz) band interference, especially if you live in a dense wifi area. Your phone likely has a dual band radio so it binds to 5 GHz instead and offers more bandwidth with less interference. The NIC you're using is single band N on 2.4.

I'd upgrade the NIC.

Reactions: donuttb
Solution