Question Wireless Connection Dropping While Still Saying I’m Connected

flipturn10

Prominent
Jul 25, 2019
I have recently encountered an issue where there will be sporadic internet drops under my WiFi Connection. Unlike most issues, I consider this one unique. I’ve done some research and I don’t see anything in regards to a solution, so I’ve come here.
I use an AC3000 X6 Netgear Nighthawk model router and an ISP provided modem. Whenever I click my Wifi Option on my taskbar when the drop occurs, all available connections disappear except the one I’m currently connected to. It states I have a connection, but that clearly isn’t the case. The connection is being broadcasted under Netgear 57 through my WiFi extender. I feel there is a simple fix to this, but I am not sure.

Here is what the issue resembles:
View: https://imgur.com/a/0eOlwAR
(Normal)
View: https://imgur.com/a/BHEZAkm
(Dropped)

Some unsuccessful solutions I’ve experimented with:
Uninstalling and reinstalling drivers / updating drivers.
Downloading WLAN Optimizer.
Resetting DNS.
Buying a WiFi extender from Netgear.
Resetting Windows.
Turning off “Allow this device to save power” in the Power Management option of my drivers.

Any tips or solutions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Jan 22, 2020
Hi,

I've been experiencing a similar issue since building a new PC in December and its getting progressively more frequent. Have also tried the same fixes you've suggested above but have also tried some additional fixes i thought worth mentioning. i.e. Setting a fixed IP, deleting the network profiles manually using cmd (netsh wlan delete profile...... etc.) updated all drivers, firmware etc.

My connection is stable for around 2-5mins before it drops however i've also noticed a few strange things.

- It will either be exactly the same as your images above, where it will say i am connected and have a connection but clearly don't until i disconnect and reconnect (with no other networks displayed) or it will drop me from the network entirely and my "connect automatically" checkbox is always unticked even though i have it set to auto connect in teh settings (but i see all other networks)

- Also, i get the feeling its something "timing out" i say that as i can be playing a game online and the connection is fine while im in-game, but as soon as the round ends and it tries to send me back to the main menu the internet drops out. Strange that it can maintain a connection for the entire 15-20min round (escape from tarkov) but only drop out once the round ends. Whereas if i am doing nothing but watching youtube the connection wont last for more than a couple of minutes at a time.

- Given i used this same modem/router and wifi adapter on my old pc with no issue and the fact my partners desktop + our phones all have a solid connection, i am confident its not a hardware problem from a network perspective.

- My other thought is it could be a power supply issue, i have a thermaltake 550 PSU but i feel like it might not be strong enough for my new rig (asus tuf mobo, ryzen 7, gigabyte 5500tx 8gb GPU, 16gb corsair vengance ram) I also get a lot of coil whine when gaming and pumping the settings up to ultra.

Any thoughts anyone?

Cheers,

Reactions: flipturn10

flipturn10

Prominent
Jul 25, 2019
The issue has seemed to have persistently gotten worse for me. Happens about once a minute whereas not to long ago it would occur every 2-3 minutes. Would getting a new wifi card help? Mine just came integrated into my PC.