Wireless Connection "Excellent" but no Internet

I have a wireless network in my home using a Linksys Wireless-B router. I
sometimes bring home a Dell Precision M60 running XP and a Cisco Aironet 352
wireless LAN adapter card. When I arrive, I change the Aironet profile on my
laptop to that of my home, which includes encryption, and always get
association and an "excellent" connection to the home network.

The problem is that occasionally/often, even though I have association and
good connection, I cannot connect to the internet. On other days, I can
connect to the internet.

I am poor at troubleshooting networks, especially wireless ones. I should
note that the computers on my home wireless network seldom have problems with
connectivity or internet connection.

I could use some help with troubleshooting and some possible things to look
at in this case. Thanks in advance!
--
Larry

"LarryM" <LarryM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a wireless network in my home using a Linksys Wireless-B router. I
> sometimes bring home a Dell Precision M60 running XP and a Cisco Aironet
> 352
> wireless LAN adapter card. When I arrive, I change the Aironet profile on
> my
> laptop to that of my home, which includes encryption, and always get
> association and an "excellent" connection to the home network.
>
> The problem is that occasionally/often, even though I have association and
> good connection, I cannot connect to the internet. On other days, I can
> connect to the internet.

As you are moving the machine between networks, your issue is likely either
your IP settings or (more likely) your proxy settings. Check that your IP
is correct for the network. Specifically, check that the gateway IP address
and DNS IP address (if assigned) are correct. If they are, check your proxy
settings. Do this by going to "Control Panel" and selecting "Internet
Options". In this window, click the "Connections" tab and click "LAN
Settings...". For most home networks, the proxy should be set to autodetect
and all other options should be blank. If you are using a proxy on the
other network, however, you will need to reconfigure these settings once you
migrate back to it.

DJ,
I checked the browser internet settings and I did change it to automatically
detect settings, leaving everything else unchecked. Still did not work.

Concerning the IP addresses, I am not sure how to assure they are set
correctly. On the laptop (running XP professional), I can look at the
wireless connection properties->tcp/ip properties->general tab, and it shows
obtain IP address automatically and obtain DNS address automatically.

Am I looking in the right place or for the right thing? Again, thanks for
the help.

Larry

> DJ,
> I checked the browser internet settings and I did change it to
> automatically
> detect settings, leaving everything else unchecked. Still did not work.
>
> Concerning the IP addresses, I am not sure how to assure they are set
> correctly. On the laptop (running XP professional), I can look at the
> wireless connection properties->tcp/ip properties->general tab, and it
> shows
> obtain IP address automatically and obtain DNS address automatically.
>
> Am I looking in the right place or for the right thing? Again, thanks for
> the help.

You're in the right area. Under the "Support" tab, your current IP config
will be listed. This is likely not your problem, though, as you said the
issue is only occasional. However, also under this tab, you will find the
"Repair" button. When you lose your connection, use this button to see if
you can re-establish the connection.

If the "Repair" doesn't work, also try disabling and then re-enabling your
network card. This will cause your system to reassociate with the access
point.

DJ,

Seems to be working--thanks for the help!

Larry