Wireless connection questions!? please?

darcyhart

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
hey i am getting a laptop and of course i now want wireless internet :) can someone please advise me of a good but cheap router and if i could still keep internet on my desktop? does it still have a connection through wires to the PC and wireless as well :S??
cheers vmuch! :ange:

G

You can keep your Desktop PC wired to a wireless router while also using a wireless connection on a laptop.

Bear in mind that wireless, while very convenient for a laptop is neither as quick nor as reliable as a wired connecttion.

As far as routers go, there are good cheap routers, but if you're new to this I'd go for a decent brand because the manual will be better and on-line support will continue to be available when you need to upgrade firmware etc.

I'd look at Netgear, Linksys, Dlink.

But don't forget that your ISP can probably supply a wireless router already set up to work with its services which will save you some time and make support easier.

Don't get too hung up on newer technologies like MIMO and N -- an 80211G standard wireless router will probably work faster than the speed of data coming from your ISP.

Your first decision is whether your ISP is ADSL (phone line) or Cable -- make that clear to the retailer when choosing your wireless router.