Wireless connection says limited access

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 25, 2018
I have tried numerous things to resolve this: ipconfig/release comes up with the error ...the rpc server is unavailable. I get a Error 5: Access Denied when trying to activate the DHCP client service. I know it's an IP issue because when I click on details on my wireless connection status I see the autoconfiguration for my IPv4 starts with 169. I've tried adding permissions to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENT regarding both the DHCP and TCP/IP and no luck still. I still get the message access denied. I should mention that this is only a very recent problem, nothing has changed regarding my pc or my network but one morning my wifi access was limited. Every other device works in my house. I have even tried connecting through my phone's 3G internet but to no avail, same limited connectivity message comes up. Hopefully someone could help. Thankyou

Feb 25, 2018
Windows IP configuration
Host name Jordan PC
Primary DNS Suffix
Node type. Hybrid
Ip Routing Enabled. No
Wins proxy enabled. No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Connection specific dns Suffix
Description Realtek RTL8811AU Wireless LAB 802.11ac USB 2.0 network adapter

Physical Address. 00-0F-00-3C-9D-DD
DHCP Enabled. Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled. Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address fe80::1df9:e09b:e23b:64bdz23(preferred)

Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address 169.254.100.189 (Preferred)
Subnet Mask. 255.255.0.0
Default gateway.
DNS Servers. fec0:0:0:ffff::1z1 fec0:0:0:ffff::2z1 fec0:0:0:ffff::3z1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.(3C28D45D-9189-4479-A61D-2119076C2EBA):

Media State. Media disconnected
Connection-Specific DNS Suffix.
Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. No
Autoconfiguration Enabled. Yes
C:\Windows\system32>

Ralston18

Titan
Get together with your roommate and verify the router's wireless configuration settings.

Ensure that the router and your new wireless adapter are indeed able to communicate. E.g., no frequency and channel differences. Correct SSID, password, encryption, etc..

Even though "He hasn't changed anything regarding it for years" there could have been some update (firmware) within the router.

Or some inadvertent change was made if he was doing some router maintenance or addressing other issues - not making changes per se.

Your computer and wireless adapter are only "half" of the connection settings.

They must match the router's wireless and network settings.

And your registry changes may also be causing problems. Would hope that installing the drivers for the new network adapter card would resolve such things.

However, if you changed "permissions" then the consequences could be much as you are seeing.

Start with your roommate.

Feb 25, 2018
I have tried connection my pc via my 4G connection hotspot on my phone and have the same issue therefore I can deduce it's not an issue with my router. Is there no way I couldn't reset windows to almost factory settings? Or would I have to fully reinstall windows to try to solve my issue.

Ralston18

Titan
My recommendation is to just do a full install.

Especially since the registry has been edited - no knowing what all may have been done and/or undone during the edits.

All the more so because of the double failure: router and connection hotspot.

Hopefully both will be back in service after the reinstall.

Do remember to back up all data and verify the backup before the reinstall.

Feb 25, 2018
I have began to reinstall through the disk I initially used the first installation. I am now however getting an error message 'A required CD/DVD drive device driver USB missing. If you have driver floppy disk,CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now.'
I am installing windows 7 ultimate pre activated through disk, I never had this issue before yet all of a sudden I can't advance now. So many issues. Trying to create a clean slate and I am running into every stumbling block possible it's so frustrating. If you have any tips on getting around this error then it would be very much appreciated.

Ralston18

Titan
What make and model CD/DVD player do you have? External USB?

Leave the CD/DVD drive unplugged and continue the reinstall.

Once you have Windows 7 up and running again then go to the drive's manufacturer's website and download the applicable driver. Then reinstall the USB drive as if it were new.

Ralston18

Titan
Not uncommon. Still something changed: an update, a new application, file corruption.

Be methodical. Do things that you control one thing at a time. Turn off updates (as may or may not be applicable with Windows 7).

Then try using the external DVD player again.

Try another round of troubleshooting: another known working USB cable, another power source if applicable, and then another try at reinstalling the drivers again.

Problem seems to be changing. Starting to think about the PSU or motherboard as the cause ....