Wireless Connection Woes

frenchy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004

OK, real new at this, so may need some prompting!

Have a D-Link DSL-G604T Router and ADSL Modem that has LAN ports as well
as a Wireless connection.

Have set everything up via the HTTP:// wizard in the router. Internet
connection works
fine and other computers connected to the router via cable all get Web
access.

Wish to connect my Toshiba Portege Laptop to the Wireless part of the
Router. It sees the SSID and have 100% signal strength and make
connection and supply the 128 Bit ASCII key.

Now if I let Windows (Win XP with Service Pack 2) in the Laptop control
the Toshiba Wireless LAN Mini PCI card, then I get a full strength
connection
but cannot access the Internet thru the Router. The Wireless icon in the
tray does NOT have a Limited connectivity exclamation on it. Have tried all
firewalls off and no success. Note the ADSL Internet connection is working
fine via the main computer and works to the Laptop if I use a LAN cable to
the router. It just doesn't work with the Wireless connection.

Now if I use Cirond WinC software to manage the Laptop wireless card (i.e
take away Windows Control), it again
sees the SSID and gets an IP address but again no Internet connection,
although
this time the icon in the tray indicates "Limited or no connectivity".

I have tried with no security settings and no WEP Key at all and no
difference. The WinC software
allows the connection to "associate", but again no connection

I have used the wireless Laptop connection in hotels or Starbucks when
travelling, so it does work.
Any help appreciated!

Frenchy

Are you enabling DHCP on your router in all conditions?

Frenchy wrote:

> OK, real new at this, so may need some prompting!
>
> Have a D-Link DSL-G604T Router and ADSL Modem that has LAN ports as well
> as a Wireless connection.
>
> Have set everything up via the HTTP:// wizard in the router. Internet
> connection works
> fine and other computers connected to the router via cable all get Web
> access.
>
> Wish to connect my Toshiba Portege Laptop to the Wireless part of the
> Router. It sees the SSID and have 100% signal strength and make
> connection and supply the 128 Bit ASCII key.
>
> Now if I let Windows (Win XP with Service Pack 2) in the Laptop control
> the Toshiba Wireless LAN Mini PCI card, then I get a full strength
> connection
> but cannot access the Internet thru the Router. The Wireless icon in the
> tray does NOT have a Limited connectivity exclamation on it. Have tried all
> firewalls off and no success. Note the ADSL Internet connection is working
> fine via the main computer and works to the Laptop if I use a LAN cable to
> the router. It just doesn't work with the Wireless connection.
>
> Now if I use Cirond WinC software to manage the Laptop wireless card (i.e
> take away Windows Control), it again
> sees the SSID and gets an IP address but again no Internet connection,
> although
> this time the icon in the tray indicates "Limited or no connectivity".
>
> I have tried with no security settings and no WEP Key at all and no
> difference. The WinC software
> allows the connection to "associate", but again no connection
>
> I have used the wireless Laptop connection in hotels or Starbucks when
> travelling, so it does work.
> Any help appreciated!
>
> Frenchy

frenchy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004

DHCP is enabled (as a server) (there are 3 options, this was default)

Thanks

Frenchy

"Warren Bryant" <warren.bryant@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Are you enabling DHCP on your router in all conditions?
>
> Frenchy wrote:
>
>> OK, real new at this, so may need some prompting!
>>
>> Have a D-Link DSL-G604T Router and ADSL Modem that has LAN ports as well
>> as a Wireless connection.
>>
>> Have set everything up via the HTTP:// wizard in the router. Internet
>> connection works
>> fine and other computers connected to the router via cable all get Web
>> access.
>>
>> Wish to connect my Toshiba Portege Laptop to the Wireless part of the
>> Router. It sees the SSID and have 100% signal strength and make
>> connection and supply the 128 Bit ASCII key.
>>
>> Now if I let Windows (Win XP with Service Pack 2) in the Laptop control
>> the Toshiba Wireless LAN Mini PCI card, then I get a full strength
>> connection
>> but cannot access the Internet thru the Router. The Wireless icon in the
>> tray does NOT have a Limited connectivity exclamation on it. Have tried
>> all
>> firewalls off and no success. Note the ADSL Internet connection is
>> working
>> fine via the main computer and works to the Laptop if I use a LAN cable
>> the router. It just doesn't work with the Wireless connection.
>>
>> Now if I use Cirond WinC software to manage the Laptop wireless card (i.e
>> take away Windows Control), it again
>> sees the SSID and gets an IP address but again no Internet connection,
>> although
>> this time the icon in the tray indicates "Limited or no connectivity".
>>
>> I have tried with no security settings and no WEP Key at all and no
>> difference. The WinC software
>> allows the connection to "associate", but again no connection
>>
>> I have used the wireless Laptop connection in hotels or Starbucks when
>> travelling, so it does work.
>> Any help appreciated!
>>
>> Frenchy

Hi

I had the identical problem altough other equipment. Now it works. What I
did is the following:
First update router to the latest firmware.
Then reset the router and enter the total config again
I deactivated WEP and now the connection is established.

The remaining question is why does the encrytion with WEP not work ?

"Frenchy" wrote:

> OK, real new at this, so may need some prompting!
>
> Have a D-Link DSL-G604T Router and ADSL Modem that has LAN ports as well
> as a Wireless connection.
>
> Have set everything up via the HTTP:// wizard in the router. Internet
> connection works
> fine and other computers connected to the router via cable all get Web
> access.
>
> Wish to connect my Toshiba Portege Laptop to the Wireless part of the
> Router. It sees the SSID and have 100% signal strength and make
> connection and supply the 128 Bit ASCII key.
>
> Now if I let Windows (Win XP with Service Pack 2) in the Laptop control
> the Toshiba Wireless LAN Mini PCI card, then I get a full strength
> connection
> but cannot access the Internet thru the Router. The Wireless icon in the
> tray does NOT have a Limited connectivity exclamation on it. Have tried all
> firewalls off and no success. Note the ADSL Internet connection is working
> fine via the main computer and works to the Laptop if I use a LAN cable to
> the router. It just doesn't work with the Wireless connection.
>
> Now if I use Cirond WinC software to manage the Laptop wireless card (i.e
> take away Windows Control), it again
> sees the SSID and gets an IP address but again no Internet connection,
> although
> this time the icon in the tray indicates "Limited or no connectivity".
>
> I have tried with no security settings and no WEP Key at all and no
> difference. The WinC software
> allows the connection to "associate", but again no connection
>
> I have used the wireless Laptop connection in hotels or Starbucks when
> travelling, so it does work.
> Any help appreciated!
>
> Frenchy

frenchy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004

Hi back! No I have done all that right from the start.

Tried no security at all and still no connection. I am getting convinced
this is a XP2 service pack bug!

Frenchy