Status
Not open for further replies.

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Hi,

I had Linux installed on my laptop for a few years before having to reinstall it with XP. I can't seem to find any drivers that work with XP for my wireless. It's driving me nuts. With Linux it would auto detect all hardware and install all the drivers available.

It has been weeks and I still can't find anything. I posted on the Dell forum but they where far from helpful! Someone suggested I ditch out 30 bucks and buy a USB wireless USB which is stupid if I already have a wireless card and I know it works!

The P/N for the wireless card is 0W9764. Laptop is an Inspiron 1300.

Nothing from Dell work, I tried a bunch of other random things off Google, like directly from Intel but that also failed to work. It keeps telling me no drivers detected for the card.

All the help I can get is appreciated!

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yup, everything is on, checked BIOS too. (no physical switches on this model BTW)

Thanks for the driver link, I think this is "one" of the drivers I've tried the problem with this specific driver after it extracts is, it doesn't open. No error messages or anything, you simply click on it and nothing happens.

I have a deep suspicion this is the driver I need too!

Any ideas?

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
One thing I have just noticed in driver manager under "other devices" with yellow question marks is:

1) "Modem Device on High Definition Audio Bus" (Location 65535 (Internal High Definition Audio Bus)
2) "Video Controller" (PCI bus 0, device 2, function 1)

So it detects some kind of a "modem device..." not sure if that is the card itself.

This is so frustrating!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Do this. Shut the system down. Power it back on and enter the BIOS. Disable the wireless adapter in the BIOS and save/restart.

Let Window boot back up fully. Once up, shutdown and reverse the process to enable the adapter. Windows will see a "new" device and should attempt to reload the drivers.

Also, it looks like your video adapter might be using a default driver and not the one specific for it. Get the video driver from the Dell website as well.

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

Thanks for the reply!

Just tried that, never worked I'm afraid. :(

FN+F2 enables/disables the wireless itself from the desktop. (I just checked out of curiosity by resetting and checking BIOS.) if that is of any use but I don't think so.

When I install the drivers, it installs a pop up software for INTEL PRO however when you click on the icon in the taskbar after it installs it says "NO DRIVER FOUND" and I'm thinking to myself, do I need a SEPARATE driver for the actual card itself, and is it only software that I am installing? This makes no sense. Lol.

I'm going to remove the actual card itself, restart the computer, then put it back on and try again. Otherwise I am out of ideas. Here is a pic:

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
YES!!! IT WORKED!!!

I "removed" the actual wireless card, restarted the machine, and put it back in then restarted again. It automatically detected the card, and connected to my home router.

RESULT!!! :D

COLGeek

Cybernaut

WOO HOO!!! Good job!

Status
Not open for further replies.