[SOLVED] Wireless Firewall?

VERSION_1583

Commendable
May 7, 2021
Hi,

Is it possible to buy a Netgear Firewall Device then connecting a Wifi TP-Link Device to receive wifi and redirect the data exchange to my computer using ethernet cable?

Also, will it work in University wifi?

Thank You :)

Solution
A firewall is waste of money in the application you want. Generally a firewall is used to protect a server that you are allowing outside machines..ie internet.. to access. You want to protect the server from any attack or maybe restrict who can access it. It also to some very small extent filter traffic from internal machines going to the internet. That is not very effective because all traffic is encrypted so there is no way to actually see what is being done. At best you can block IP addresses but as your univeristy knows that is easily bypassed with a vpn.

To protect your internal device it is as simple as using any consumer router. The NAT function will protect the internal machines just because it is stupid. Say...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi,

Is it possible to buy a Netgear Firewall Device then connecting a Wifi TP-Link Device to receive wifi and redirect the data exchange to my computer using ethernet cable?

Also, will it work in University wifi?

Thank You :)
Do you have to login to the University WIFI or provide them with the MAC address of your laptop ?
Most dorms prohibit personal WIFI routers.
Have you checked what the rules are in your specific location ?

Reactions: VERSION_1583

VERSION_1583

Commendable
May 7, 2021
Do you have to login to the University WIFI or provide them with the MAC address of your laptop ?
Most dorms prohibit personal WIFI routers.
Have you checked what the rules are in your specific location ?
We get a login of the University WIFI.

However, the rule states that an unauthorised VPN is prohibited.

I was thinking of just using the Firewall device as an extra protection and have the VPN turned off.

A firewall is waste of money in the application you want. Generally a firewall is used to protect a server that you are allowing outside machines..ie internet.. to access. You want to protect the server from any attack or maybe restrict who can access it. It also to some very small extent filter traffic from internal machines going to the internet. That is not very effective because all traffic is encrypted so there is no way to actually see what is being done. At best you can block IP addresses but as your univeristy knows that is easily bypassed with a vpn.

To protect your internal device it is as simple as using any consumer router. The NAT function will protect the internal machines just because it is stupid. Say someone on the internet, or in your case other students on the university network, attempt to hack you the NAT does not know which of your internal device to send the traffic to so it just drops it. This is the same as a fancy firewall rules that say only allow traffic to come back from session that were established from a internal machine.

I am somewhat surprised the university even attempts to block vpn. They would have to block all the ip used by the common vpn providers. The most common vpn client uses openvpn which can be configured to appear at normal HTTPS traffic using the standard HTTPS ports. This massive firewalls in china have a way to detect some but even they can only block via ip addresses. China can't block the people who setup private vpn servers without say blocking all the amazon,google, cloudflair etc hosting centers.

Be aware the university can prevent you from using any unauthorized device. There are advanced setting in 802.1x used to prevent you from substituting devices and your router likely has no way to log into a network itself.

Solution

VERSION_1583

Commendable
May 7, 2021

To protect your internal device it is as simple as using any consumer router. The NAT function will protect the internal machines just because it is stupid. Say someone on the internet, or in your case other students on the university network, attempt to hack you the NAT does not know which of your internal device to send the traffic to so it just drops it. This is the same as a fancy firewall rules that say only allow traffic to come back from session that were established from a internal machine.

I am somewhat surprised the university even attempts to block vpn. They would have to block all the ip used by the common vpn providers. The most common vpn client uses openvpn which can be configured to appear at normal HTTPS traffic using the standard HTTPS ports. This massive firewalls in china have a way to detect some but even they can only block via ip addresses. China can't block the people who setup private vpn servers without say blocking all the amazon,google, cloudflair etc hosting centers.

Be aware the university can prevent you from using any unauthorized device. There are advanced setting in 802.1x used to prevent you from substituting devices and your router likely has no way to log into a network itself.

Yeah this sounds great. I will get a consumer router then.

For context, the University rules state that VPN are not allowed. I was unsure whether I should risk using a VPN because they will still see a connection being established. So it might raise some red flags?

I guess it depends on what they are trying to block. I know some colleges block everything that is not web based which means many games don't work. Not sure watching netflix uses far more bandwidth than a game.
If they allow everything you don't really need a vpn.

I know a friend allows his son to vpn into his home internet connection from school so he does not have to pay for things like netflix and hbo because all the traffic is coming from the same IP at the house. This type of vpn is almost undetectable.

Reactions: VERSION_1583