Wireless Found but Not Working??

Running WinXP Professional with a Wireless card. Trying to get it to
connect to the free wireless network at the public libarary. When I boot
the machine it finds the network connection access point, and states
EXCELLENT connection. But when I try to browse the web it does not find
anything. Is there some other configuration switch in WinXP I have to set.

If I go to Wireless Network Connection Properties it does not show any
available networks. Have tried both "Use Windows to Configure" as
checked and unchecked. Also have FIREWALL feature on the Advanced tab
unchecked. What else is there to check. The PC connects to the internet
excellent when I run an Ethernet wire to it, but when I use the SMC 2532W-B
Wireless PC Card 802.11b, it finds the Access Point but WindowsXP does not
use it properly???

DS

"Al Franz" <albert@nospam.netmation.com> wrote in

> Running WinXP Professional with a Wireless card. Trying to get it to
> connect to the free wireless network at the public libarary. When I
> boot the machine it finds the network connection access point, and
> states EXCELLENT connection. But when I try to browse the web it does
> not find anything. Is there some other configuration switch in WinXP
> I have to set.
>
> If I go to Wireless Network Connection Properties it does not show any
> available networks. Have tried both "Use Windows to Configure" as
> checked and unchecked. Also have FIREWALL feature on the Advanced tab
> unchecked. What else is there to check. The PC connects to the
> internet excellent when I run an Ethernet wire to it, but when I use
> the SMC 2532W-B Wireless PC Card 802.11b, it finds the Access Point
> but WindowsXP does not use it properly???

Is the wired card plugged into the laptop the same time the wireless is ?

This may be the issue. If the wired card starts up first, it's default
gateway info is used. I have the same thing, a laptop with a wired and
wireless card, in which the wired card starts first (I never use the
wired card anymore, I should remove it). My wireless card then starts,
gets an IP and etc, but doesn't work for the internet. I have a .bat file
on my desktop I have to run to change the default gateway, then the
internet works on the wireless card.

If both are there then quick check.....

1. Open 2 command prompt's.

2. Do an IPCONFIG /ALL in one of them and to get the IPs and default
gateway's for both cards.

3. In the other command prompt, type ROUTE PRINT and press ENTER.

My guess would be that there would be 2 default gateways shown, the
ones with destination 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 followed by the gateway,
192.168.0.1 in my case.

4. If there are 2, the first one is probably the wired card, and the
second the wireless. Alt-tab back and forth between the command prompt
windows to verify the info.

5. If the wired card is the top default, or only gateway, delete the
default routes by:

ROUTE DELETE 0.0.0.0 and press ENTER.
ROUTE ADD 0.0.0.0 MASK 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x and press ENTER. (with
x.x.x.x being the default gateway of the wireless card, from the info in
the IPCONFIG cmd prompt.

Re-start any internet applications that may have been started.

That's just one possibility.

DS

TRENDING THREADS